Science fiction

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Science fiction

Post by OrangeDragon »

nice, not sure when i'll be back up. not long though, i have a few things i need to sort up there.

meanwhile, any chance it came with a handy SDK you could hook me up with a copy of? If so I'll make a fun little app or 2 to try out on it when I come up.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

OrangeDragon wrote:nice, not sure when i'll be back up. not long though, i have a few things i need to sort up there.

meanwhile, any chance it came with a handy SDK you could hook me up with a copy of? If so I'll make a fun little app or 2 to try out on it when I come up.
I'll PM you a link to the developer portal, but without the hardware I imagine you're going to find development frustrating to say the least.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

StroppyChops wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:nice, not sure when i'll be back up. not long though, i have a few things i need to sort up there.

I'll PM you a link to the developer portal, but without the hardware I imagine you're going to find development frustrating to say the least.
not usually. at least not the base. then i'll just tote my laptop with me and while we're playing with it we can try a few things out and tweak bugs as needed... might end with me leaving you a few cool custom apps to show your friends. ;-)

and i found the portal myself, no link needed. i'll start playing with it this weekend (and may email you a few things to try out before i come up. i love new tech.)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sweet. Oh, you're THAT sort of code monkey. Cool, I had a Filipino guy on my development team with crazy skills, he'd learn a language to commercial competence in a weekend. Hard part was keeping him on task. Apparently the first retail release blows the DK1 out of the water, but the original rig is proof of concept and a lot of fun.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

You want classic Science Fiction? Download the classic "Dark Star" I believe it was John Carpenters first movie. I love the beach ball alien. Also have a couple of tokes and watch "Killer Clowns From Outerspace."
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

vladimir wrote:I've always liked science fiction, and with computers becoming widely available, some of the progress is mind-blowing, just saw a Google glass app that lets you control stuff using your brain-waves.

The thing that interests me is that predictions usually fail to take into account HOW we learn. So people talk about future developments and estimate something may take ten years (at present rates, using advances based on our abilities now).

But what if we could use more than 10% of our brain-power? What if we could combine thought processes simultaneously with another person/10 people without being in the same place or without the need for face-to-face or even electronic communication?

Basically rewiring the brain for max capability. Change the way we think. At present we have a super-computer running Windows 98.
I just watched: Transcendence (2014)

A progression of AI conferences to hardware that learns, to uploading a scientist's "brain neural patterns" to a mainframe to mimic his thoughts. Resulting in God-like thinking power with/without a Soul(?).

Of course the Gov and Luddite terrorists try to shut him/it down.

I enjoyed it, critics panned it. Reminded me of the Asgards and Nanobots in Stargate Atlantis.

Here's the actual PR blurb.
Sci-Fi Thriller. Dr. Will Caster (Johnny Depp) is the foremost researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence, working to create a sentient machine that combines the collective intelligence of everything ever known with the full range of human emotions. His highly controversial experiments have made him famous, but they have also made him the prime target of anti-technology extremists who will do whatever it takes to stop him. However, in their attempt to destroy Will, they inadvertently become the catalyst for him to succeed-to be a participant in his own transcendence. For his wife Evelyn (Rebecca Hall) and best friend Max Waters (Paul Bettany), both fellow researchers, the question is not if they can...but if they should. Their worst fears are realized as Will's thirst for knowledge evolves into a seemingly omnipresent quest for power, to what end is unknown. The only thing that is becoming terrifyingly clear is there may be no way to stop him.
Transcendence (2014) DVDRip XviD-MAXSPEED
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic