Khmer & Caucasion Mixed Critters

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Khmer & Caucasion Mixed Critters

Post by dagenham »

Disclaimer: this topic discussed on the "other site" recently...but not in depth....

a) Any one ever seen a street beggar obviously and resolutely mixed race?
b) Anyone know of a bargirl living in poverty conditions with a mixed race kid?
c) Of the mixed race kids whom you've met are they revered or scorned?
d) Do you think that the coming generation blended youngsters will be celebs ala Thailand and VN?
e) Who has one (or more) of these creatures and intends to stay here for the rest of their (natural) life?

This entire subject is related only to the kids who are likely to stay in Cambodia (save maybe university somewhere abroad or?) near their entire extended family. Thoughts? i.e. about educating the monsters, the Khmer social context, the importance of having a large family around, the health and safety issues, relative cost to the 'homeland" of the barang, etc.

Who is actively choosing to stick around the Kingdom with their progeny? And why?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
LTO
Expatriate

Re: Khmer & Caucasion Mixed Critters

Post by LTO »

I take it you don't have kids here, eh?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

i have no kids... but plan on staying here the rest of my unnatural life. where's my option?
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

dagenham wrote:Disclaimer: this topic discussed on the "other site" recently...but not in depth....

a) Any one ever seen a street beggar obviously and resolutely mixed race?

b) Anyone know of a bargirl living in poverty conditions with a mixed race kid?

Yes not sure about the bargirl part tough

c) Of the mixed race kids whom you've met are they revered or scorned?
When tigerwood (father black GI, mother bar girl) came to play a tournemant in Thailand, some thai shouted "son of bitch" at him

d) Do you think that the coming generation blended youngsters will be celebs ala Thailand and VN?

Hard to tell, U.S and Europe are going down when China is going up up up. My guess is sthat in 15 years speaking chinese will be more important than speaking English. Do not forget only 10 years ago what did you have as power in the region that did not depend on the west ? Answers almost no one? Still a lot of place for westerner but definitely not first class.
It was the same after the first world war, took some times for the European to realize that they were not superpower anymore. Even after the second world war the realization was somewhat slow. To be honest a lot of Brit still think that the empire remain somewhere else then in there heart.

e) Who has one (or more) of these creatures and intends to stay here for the rest of their (natural) life?

Personnaly if I have a child here, my first moove will be to take a chinese speaking nurse for the kids. Much cheaper than having take costly and relatively infective language lesson when older.

The "ethnicity" of the kids will be a factor in there future, but if you plane to stay in SE asia, this will be quite minor compare to Money, Connection and education (in that exact order I may add). What happened in VN and Thailand was in the past at a time when the balance of economic power was heavily in favor of the west

This entire subject is related only to the kids who are likely to stay in Cambodia (save maybe university somewhere abroad or?) near their entire extended family. Thoughts? i.e. about educating the monsters, the Khmer social context, the importance of having a large family around, the health and safety issues, relative cost to the 'homeland" of the barang, etc.

Who is actively choosing to stick around the Kingdom with their progeny? And why?
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

LTO wrote:I take it you don't have kids here, eh?
Maybe I do have a critter or two...I know several others who have decided to stay here with kids (until 18 anyway when they are free to go, etc.) and then support any decision they make after high school. Obviously they have $$ and secure jobs, etc. although they are not "rich" by local or international standards...

As usual it's mostly about $$...I've met many very impressive high school kids growing up here...arguably more mature and brighter than their average counterpart "back home". 3rd culture kids they're called - an entire subculture these hybrids are. Remember that French bloke who wrote the great essay on the "other forum" about his HS experience here (I think the best written essay ever on that site)? Khmerized his user name was...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

OrangeDragon wrote:i have no kids... but plan on staying here the rest of my unnatural life. where's my option?
Sorry OD - with no kids you don't count. U never did and most likely never will...matter. Ha! I still love ya though...
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

dagenham wrote:
As usual it's mostly about $$...I've met many very impressive high school kids growing up here...arguably more mature and brighter than their average counterpart "back home". 3rd culture kids they're called - an entire subculture these hybrids are..
I meet the opposite one, a French by nationality, Father from VN and mother from Thailand. She was speaking Thai almost fluently and often spend her Holiday in BKK. Could not say that I was very impress with her maturity but that was a one time encounter.
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

ryoon wrote:
dagenham wrote:
As usual it's mostly about $$...I've met many very impressive high school kids growing up here...arguably more mature and brighter than their average counterpart "back home". 3rd culture kids they're called - an entire subculture these hybrids are..
I meet the opposite one, a French by nationality, Father from VN and mother from Thailand. She was speaking Thai almost fluently and often spend her Holiday in BKK. Could not say that I was very impress with her maturity but that was a one time encounter.
Hey there, Mr. R - VN and Thai parents? That aint a relevant example as she still was 100% racially Asian. I'm curious about White/Asian mixes - cross cultural issues, etc. Also, read this essay for a fascinating look at his reality growing up here (he is a native French speaker but writes better English than most people I know):

[Khmer440 link removed]

It appears that you are a patriotic Chinese nationalist? Or? I think your arguments are weak because of the following:

A) Mandarin is not even close to becoming the International business tongue. Period. Yes, more people are learning 2nd-language Madarin everywhere but it is still dwarfed by 2nd language English learners (by what 5000%?). And reversing that in just 15 years? You're dreaming, Mate.
B) China cannot and will not grow forever. Rocky times are ahead and it might falter more as people wake up - after making enough $$, to ask some hard basic questions. They're doing it now increasingly - why? Information on the net will weaken the state control there - no doubt about that. Who knows? Maybe regionally it will start to split based on relative prosperity? We shall see...
C) Probably not 1 person in the history of the planet has taken surgical measures to look '"Chinese". Yet everyday more and more Asians (and, yes, more and more Chinese) pay for surgically altered Caucasian noses & eyes, dye their hair different colours as well as a multi-million $$ industry in whitening products for the skin. Why? They want to look more "white" and less Asian. And that's going to change tomorrow? Not a chance.
D) Mixed race people are healthier and, generally, more physically attractive because of he gene mash-up (editing out "weaker gene strains). It's a medical fact - research it...
E) Britain has historically, since humans have arrived on Earth, produced the most important and impressive people. Even currently they are the #1 country at making the best Earthlings (i.e. David Beckham and The Spice Girls) - all from a tiny miserable rocky island. The colonies are gone, but the superior DNA remains. Note: This is a cruel joke...

The Sex Pistols Rule!!!
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I can see only one good reason to have children, mixed or otherwise, and that is to keep the species alive, and I think we're doing a pretty fucking good job of that just now with the 7 billion of us already here.
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

dagenham wrote:
A) Mandarin is not even close to becoming the International business tongue. Period. Yes, more people are learning Madarin everywhere but it is still dwarfed by English learners (by what 5000%?). And reversing that in just 15 years? You're dreaming, Mate.

You fail to understand, the question is not what is the more learned language, but which one is the more useful for employment in SE. In this respect I would bet on Chinese. This is not the first time that there will be a switch in the international language. Before English is was French, before French Latin and Greek.
You have big inertia with this thing but they usually follow the diplomatic or economic power.

B) China cannot and will not grow forever. Rocky times are ahead and it might falter more as people wake up - after making enough $$, to ask some hard basic questions. They're doing it now insreasingly - why? Information on the net will weaken the state control there - no doubt about that. Who knows? Maybe regionally it will start to split based on relative prosperity? We shall see...

Yes but contrary to Japan or Korea, china is a country of busniness man, they will ask question and for change but they will still aim mainly at making money.

C) Probably not 1 person in the history of the planet has taken surgical measures to look '"Chinese". Yet everyday more and more Asians (and, yes, more and more Chinese) pay for surgically altered Caucasian noses & eyes as well as a multi-million $$ industry in whitening products for the skin. Why? They want to look more white and less Asian. And that's going to change tomorrow? Not a chance.

Not tomorrow but look at the fashion 10 years ago and you will see that things change, sometimes quite fast. Right know Korea is very very fashion in the region. Not so true only 5 years ago.

D) Mixed race people are healthier and, generally, more physically attractive because of he gene mash-up (editing out "weaker gene strains). It's a medical fact - research it...

Well mixed race exist for a long long time especially in the U.S, never notice that it give any advantages. Not an handicap but not creating superhuman. In all case you stand a better chance of being healthier raised in a country with control on the food quality and proper health care than in one where you play "I am felling lucky" each time you eat out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic