Fare from Independence Monument to RUPP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Fare from Independence Monument to RUPP?

Post by monomial »

Question for the group.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for a tuk tuk from Independence Monument to RUPP (about 6.5 km) at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon with minimal traffic?

And how much extra would you offer for the same trip during the worst part of the morning commute? I am going to making this trip fairly often, and while I don't want to take advantage of the driver, paying an extra two dollars per week will buy several cases of beer over a year.

Thoughts? Where is the happy medium between being an overpaying schmuck and being chased down the road with a tire iron?
bobsboots
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Fare from Independence Monument to RUPP?

Post by bobsboots »

" paying an extra two dollars per week will buy several cases of beer over a year."

Surely you mean saving 2 dollars? Or do you have sympathy for your alcoholic tuk tuk driver ?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I never take tuktuks, but given that a trip to the airport from the same area is roughly $6-7, I'd say $3.5-4. Don't feel bad about taking advantage of a tuktuk driver is bargaining hard, they take advantage of anyone and everyone they can.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Trying taking Uber and see what it costs and then you should never feel bad about paying a tuk tuk driver less than that. I agree that 3.5-4 sounds right
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

monomial wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:09 am Question for the group.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for a tuk tuk from Independence Monument to RUPP (about 6.5 km) at 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon with minimal traffic?

And how much extra would you offer for the same trip during the worst part of the morning commute? I am going to making this trip fairly often, and while I don't want to take advantage of the driver, paying an extra two dollars per week will buy several cases of beer over a year.

Thoughts? Where is the happy medium between being an overpaying schmuck and being chased down the road with a tire iron?
RUPP is 6k from independence. Those Baja's sometimes do 1,500R p klm so around 2.5 to 3 dollars. I drive around 300 + klm a month and it costs me 10,000R in fuel per week

Rent or even better buy a moto. It will save you a fortune: having paid for a new motorbike with the money you save by at most the end of the first year. Tuk tuks generally price themselves out of the market.
But I guess if you're determined, why not get an ac taxi, they should be cheaper than most tuk tuks.
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic