Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by StroppyChops »

Otis wrote:"Unrelated, and ignore or PM a response if you prefer, are you a certain journalist?"

No I'm not a journalist of any kind. I'm normally not shy at all about the details of who I am. But be confident, my details are unremarkable. I was viciously and personally attacked by s some cabal of jackals on K440 after a fairly harmless post, entirely free of invective. It was a real awakening for a loose cat like me. Thankfully my identity was not know then so I'm keeping it that way now.

Stroppy, are you by any chance referring to N. Kristoff? For the record, I do not like him.
Not at all, and there was no sarcasm or innuendo in my question - I was reading a blog by a journalist with the surname Otis the other day, and recalled your username here. It's an unusual coincidence, is all.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

what are so the reactions, when you grab the glue bags, otis ?
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"what are so the reactions, when you grab the glue bags, otis ?"

Think of what would be done if these kids were dumping out beers from the tables at GSM. Surely there would not be this amount of dithering about the matter. It occurs to me that in exchange for some tea money the security guys at GSM would get the job done in a matter of hours and the problem would not soon return. There are plenty of non-uniformed security guys on the Riverfront with the same capacities.

Alternatively, Grabbing the glue bags can be done by a number of men from an NGO who have the OK of the authorities if somehow the official route needs to be taken - a rarity in Cambodia. That OK should be readily available as the authorities as:

1. do not give a damn one way or the other about these kids.

2. NGO's are rich, powerful and are have very substantial influence, especially over things that no body else is making money off of.

I've never seen a glue kid capable of resisting several adults. Most can't even walk straight; many can't stand.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"there was no sarcasm or innuendo in my question"

I certainly didn't think there was.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Can't support this at this point. No real thought being put to it. Strikes me as an attempt to feel like you're doing something to help rather than actually helping.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:Can't support this at this point. No real thought being put to it. Strikes me as an attempt to feel like you're doing something to help rather than actually helping.
Alternative proposal?
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

"Can't support this at this point. No real thought being put to it. Strikes me as an attempt to feel like you're doing something to help rather than actually helping."

i am not trying to "help". I am trying to stop the glue kids from huffing glue in public. That is my only "real thought". [They mainly do so on the riverfront and St 51.]
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

StroppyChops wrote:
LTO wrote:Can't support this at this point. No real thought being put to it. Strikes me as an attempt to feel like you're doing something to help rather than actually helping.
Alternative proposal?
http://www.cambodiaexpatsonline.com/vie ... =20#p16436

And even that should be carefully thought through before rushing out and doing it. Too many amateurs running around this country screwing things up and hurting people with their feel good gotta-do-something approach.

Otis wrote:"Can't support this at this point. No real thought being put to it. Strikes me as an attempt to feel like you're doing something to help rather than actually helping."

i am not trying to "help". I am trying to stop the glue kids from huffing glue in public. That is my only "real thought". [They mainly do so on the riverfront and St 51.]
And what if that causes more harm than good? Does that matter?
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

LTO wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Alternative proposal?
http://www.cambodiaexpatsonline.com/vie ... =20#p16436

And even that should be carefully thought through before rushing out and doing it. Too many amateurs running around this country screwing things up and hurting people with their feel good gotta-do-something approach.
Yeah, good post - food for thought.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

It has been give all the thought it merits. It needs to be done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic