Do I *really* need onward travel?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Do I *really* need onward travel?

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

As i posted already in my first post. I have had this happen to me twice. The first time i was prepared by having an unpaid for flight itinerary, which was accepted. The second time i was unprepared and i had to change my flight till the next day. Only because I didn't have enough time before departure to print a non paid outward itinerary. That was four years ago and the airline told me that the unpaid itinerary was all​ i needed to let me on the flight, " so they could check the box". I could have either printed it for them to see, or showed them it on my phone they said. Maybe they want more than that nowadays, but i would gamble not.

Next time I book a one way, I'll just do the same as I have always done except that I won't​ forget to do it next time. :facepalm:
No idea​ about the bus ticket idea really, because I've never needed it preferring to use the above method instead.

I've never had a problem with the visa side of it. Either they require one and i get it, or they don't. Never been asked "why haven't you got a visa" for a country that issues free ones for my nationality.
See crook!!!
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 am As it was explained to me, buying a bus/train ticket doesn't work. The reason they want to see an onward flight is so that if you are refused entry to the country they don't have to repatriate you at their cost. If you are refused entry to a country, you CAN change your return flight details from the airport, however you CAN'T enter the country to catch a bus out.
Makes sense.
Actually this is not totally true. Why they want to see ticket out of country? 1) So that you can show you are not going to stay in country too long illegally. For this bus ticket is enough. 2) The point you make, is true also. BUT most cheap flight tickets you cannot change the date or anything. So they are as useless as the bus ticket. Airline might want to see you have for example credit card so that you can buy ticket out in your scenario. It pretty much depend on the check in clerk on what they want to see... Bus/flight ticket, credit card. So in the end having credit card + ticket out of country (bus, ferry, flight) is what you really need.
HD is 100% correct and ur 100% incorrect.

They (the AIRLINES) want to see a ticket out of the country ( or a visa) in case ur refused entry to the country at immigration and the airlines is not stuck paying for u to return you from where u came.
99% of airline tickets can be changed ( even budget airlines like air asia) its just going to cost u alot

after ur thru immigration the airlines has nothing to do with where u go or if u leave or not , nor do they care. :popcorn:
Well of course it depends on airline policy and probably even the person on check in desk. For me bus ticket + credit card has been enough at least for Malaysia Airlines, Finnair, Turkish Airlines, AirAsia and Air France. These have wanted to see to see some document. On some Finnair leaflet (though from 2012) it even says any ticket is enough as long the destination country's immigration approves it. I could scan it when I have the time. Even though the leaflet is in swedish.

Immigration (might) care that you have outward ticket. And most countries don't care if it's flight or bus ticket. There might be countries that have exception to this. But generally speaking, bus ticket + credit card should be enough.

Edit. I checked few airlines terms and none says that you need to have flight ticket. They only mention onward/return ticket as stated destination in country's law/regulations. I would really want to see some fact that it needs to be airline ticket phuketrichard?
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I understand the logic of why a bus ticket is insufficient, because you would need to clear customs and enter the country, which doesn't help the airline if you are refused entry. Perfectly logical. But what if you were flying into PP and out of SR? Technically they could refuse to carry you for the same reason.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I used to import volunteers, and after 100+ entries, 2011-2013, maybe 6 were questioned about their last leg via Bangkok, mostly on Bangkok Air. We issued 'invitation letters' which were nothing more than a pdf with letterhead saying they were due to volunteer in Phnom Penh date x to y, which resolved 100% of issues. None had issues with not having onwards flights on arrival.

Moral of the story, if you're worried you'll be turned away, google a well known org (but not too well known) and make yourself a nice invitation letter.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:26 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm
rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm
Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 am As it was explained to me, buying a bus/train ticket doesn't work. The reason they want to see an onward flight is so that if you are refused entry to the country they don't have to repatriate you at their cost. If you are refused entry to a country, you CAN change your return flight details from the airport, however you CAN'T enter the country to catch a bus out.
Makes sense.
Actually this is not totally true. Why they want to see ticket out of country? 1) So that you can show you are not going to stay in country too long illegally. For this bus ticket is enough. 2) The point you make, is true also. BUT most cheap flight tickets you cannot change the date or anything. So they are as useless as the bus ticket. Airline might want to see you have for example credit card so that you can buy ticket out in your scenario. It pretty much depend on the check in clerk on what they want to see... Bus/flight ticket, credit card. So in the end having credit card + ticket out of country (bus, ferry, flight) is what you really need.
HD is 100% correct and ur 100% incorrect.

They (the AIRLINES) want to see a ticket out of the country ( or a visa) in case ur refused entry to the country at immigration and the airlines is not stuck paying for u to return you from where u came.
99% of airline tickets can be changed ( even budget airlines like air asia) its just going to cost u alot

after ur thru immigration the airlines has nothing to do with where u go or if u leave or not , nor do they care. :popcorn:
Well of course it depends on airline policy and probably even the person on check in desk. For me bus ticket + credit card has been enough at least for Malaysia Airlines, Finnair, Turkish Airlines, AirAsia and Air France. These have wanted to see to see some document. On some Finnair leaflet (though from 2012) it even says any ticket is enough as long the destination country's immigration approves it. I could scan it when I have the time. Even though the leaflet is in swedish.

Immigration (might) care that you have outward ticket. And most countries don't care if it's flight or bus ticket. There might be countries that have exception to this. But generally speaking, bus ticket + credit card should be enough.

Edit. I checked few airlines terms and none says that you need to have flight ticket. They only mention onward/return ticket as stated destination in country's law/regulations. I would really want to see some fact that it needs to be airline ticket phuketrichard?
tbh when i flew from Auckland in NZ to PP (Cambodia),

i got a new girl behind the counter, must have been in her first few days, she was struggling with the system

she started going through the protocol and then asked about my onward travel as i only had a 1 way ticket

i informed her that i wouldnt be onward traveling as i was living there *proceeded to show her a passport full of Cambodian visas and extensions*

she has a brain fart

calls over the manager

to set an example she started showing her the protocol and also started saying i needed onward travel

i then tell her to stop being divvy, and that i dont plan on onward traveling as i will be living there and that i was only in NZ on holiday visiting some family

she has a brain fart

and said again i need onward travel

i then remembered i had a hotel booked in Thailand for in about 3.5 weeks time as i had planned to visit a friend

so i showed them the booking on booking.com

they said that was sufficient enough and printed my boarding passes

i stood there shaking my head in disbelief, at their brain farts and lack of logic,

after id gone through immigration i actually canceled my hotel booking as i had already changed my plans and wasnt going anymore, so was lucky i hadnt done it already, and also lucky they reminded me to do it lol

[edit] that was a China Airline, but the staff were Nz
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

This could be the cheapest answer if you are really worried about it -
https://flyonward.com/en/
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 pm So, I'm moving to Cambodia on 1 August and my inbound air itinerary is one-way. I've been reading the very good book, "Move to Cambodia" by Lina Goldberg, and she says that I should have an inexpensive (and ideally cancellable) onward air ticket,
You should have used the title - Another Cheap Charlie moving to Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Hotdigr wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 am This could be the cheapest answer if you are really worried about it -
https://flyonward.com/en/
Thank you! That's awesome! :-) :-) :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic