Traditional gift for newborn?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Traditional gift for newborn?

Post by StroppyChops »

We ended up needing to get there in a hurry (proud farther anxious to show and tell) so we grabbed a gift pack from a "things for baby" shop on the way, but all genuine advice was appreciated.

Incidentally, the tinned milk UT showed was certainly being used by the time we got there, so good call.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Good to hear. UT was correct I was drunk and confused, however in my defense there was a baby on the can (it just was a baby bear).
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

18k gold bracelets.
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

even the smallest credit suisse is an elegant gift, highly esteemed by any asian and often kept as a lifelong emblem of luck in red silk.
if khmer chen jade is ok, but fine gold trumps it all.

as well as being an emergency currency- it holds a superstitious fascination for asians that ties in with luck and the material substance of life.

there is a certain vote of confidence established by the giver towards the recipient- a kind of faith in permanence of the relationship.

it is difficult to express the regard these people have for gold, and the significance they place upon it as a gift.

my daughter was given a jade bangle and one gram credit suisse from a Vn lady 31 years ago- to her- it was an obligation.
had she given anything less, she thought I would have a lesser regard for HER!

of course we shambling overfed heedless barang can just give what we want- and food for the baby is also a big deal culturally, highly acceptable.

gold is the ticket though!

you can get a pair of little hoop earrings for $30.

have the camera ready for the smiles. they will know you "get" them then. part of the family.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bearing in mind this was a secondary present we bought a 'Winnie the Pooh' clothing set - the bag was not opened while we were there but the clothes were proudly displayed on bubba in the next Facebook photos.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
drery10
Tourist
Australia

Post by drery10 »

Hello
I have brought the new baby clothes along-with fruits and chocolates for my nephew.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Good idea!
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic