Science fiction

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Science fiction

Post by vladimir »

I've always liked science fiction, and with computers becoming widely available, some of the progress is mind-blowing, just saw a Google glass app that lets you control stuff using your brain-waves.

The thing that interests me is that predictions usually fail to take into account HOW we learn. So people talk about future developments and estimate something may take ten years (at present rates, using advances based on our abilities now).

But what if we could use more than 10% of our brain-power? What if we could combine thought processes simultaneously with another person/10 people without being in the same place or without the need for face-to-face or even electronic communication?

Basically rewiring the brain for max capability. Change the way we think. At present we have a super-computer running Windows 98.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Science fiction

Post by nightmare.believer »

It is a misnomer that we only use a small percentage of our brains, we use the whole thing as a matter of fact. If you want to wait for a major jump, and subsequent divergence, of I.Q. wait until all advanced learning has become open source and available on-line for free.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Perhaps we only use them to 10% of their potential?

Online still ties us to learning/thinking the traditional way, as if there is no other way. Perhaps that assumption is retarding us.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

nightmare.believer wrote:It is a misnomer that we only use a small percentage of our brains, we use the whole thing as a matter of fact. If you want to wait for a major jump, and subsequent divergence, of I.Q. wait until all advanced learning has become open source and available on-line for free.
Jaap N.
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Jaap N. »

Lol, 'it's not my spermcount'
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Speaking of which, the Oculus Rift arrived some time back OD (and anyone else with an interest in VR), so next time you're in the city..
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

StroppyChops wrote:Speaking of which, the Oculus Rift arrived some time back OD (and anyone else with an interest in VR), so next time you're in the city..

I'd like to have a look at that some time please.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

It's a seriously cool piece of technology!
Using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

walkjivefly wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:Speaking of which, the Oculus Rift arrived some time back OD (and anyone else with an interest in VR), so next time you're in the city..

Sure, we'll make an event out of it - OD, when are heading to town next, we'll tie it in with that. Alma's is literally around the corner so we could also do brunch (said without any trace of lithp).
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by walkjivefly »

StroppyChops wrote:
walkjivefly wrote:

Sure, we'll make an event out of it - OD, when are heading to town next, we'll tie it in with that. Alma's is literally around the corner so we could also do brunch (said without any trace of lithp).
Cool :-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic