Do I *really* need onward travel?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Do I *really* need onward travel?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

timmydownawell wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm I had price checked online but stopped by a Flight Centre in Sydney before I left. The woman there quoted me a more expensive fare (despite their lowest airfare guarantee), then told me she couldn't even sell me a ticket without proving onward travel.

I bought a Mekong bus ticket to SGN online just in case. But tbh you could rock up at the airport 30 mins earlier, try and check in... and if they don't like it.. step away and book a bus ticket on your phone or laptop, and go and check in again, showing them your onward ticket.
yep, its just to cover their arses, so they can say, "not our problem, he had onward travel"
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

they ask in countries like Indonesia, philipines Taiwan and japan but never ask in and around mainland SEA.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

saigonjackpot wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 pm they ask in countries like Indonesia, philipines Taiwan and japan but never ask in and around mainland SEA.
wrong, December 2016, i got asked flying from Chiang Rai > PP
Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

As it was explained to me, buying a bus/train ticket doesn't work. The reason they want to see an onward flight is so that if you are refused entry to the country they don't have to repatriate you at their cost. If you are refused entry to a country, you CAN change your return flight details from the airport, however you CAN'T enter the country to catch a bus out.
Makes sense.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 am As it was explained to me, buying a bus/train ticket doesn't work. The reason they want to see an onward flight is so that if you are refused entry to the country they don't have to repatriate you at their cost. If you are refused entry to a country, you CAN change your return flight details from the airport, however you CAN'T enter the country to catch a bus out.
Makes sense.
the 1st correct reply.

U NEED an air ticket out to get in IF they ask. :beer3: and thats a BIG IF

Just buy a full fare ticket as those are usually allowed to be refunded...
if ur really worried
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:05 am
Hotdigr wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 am As it was explained to me, buying a bus/train ticket doesn't work. The reason they want to see an onward flight is so that if you are refused entry to the country they don't have to repatriate you at their cost. If you are refused entry to a country, you CAN change your return flight details from the airport, however you CAN'T enter the country to catch a bus out.
Makes sense.
the 1st correct reply.

U NEED an air ticket out to get in IF they ask. :beer3: and thats a BIG IF

Just buy a full fare ticket as those are usually allowed to be refunded...
if ur really worried
yep or it can be just as cheap to just pre buy your visa before arrival
think a single entry thai visa is like £25 (not sure what it is now, i used to get the double entry for £50 which doesnt exist now)
or the e-visa for Cambodia is what $40?
why fuck about with flights you need to cancel when you can just get a visa, although for Cambodia it might be easier canceling a flight than doing a border run to get the right visa
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Easy! Like I have posted before, One way flights are expensive, especially if you get refused entry. Buy a return then you have the option of changing the outward return flight for a later date, or cancel, and get a refund. I have done this many times, and when you look at the difference in single and return flights. Maybe $100 dollar difference or less. I have been known to dump the return ticket and buy a return at a different date or destination.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Hotdigr is right about the options for Thailand. As for Cambodia, I was once asked by Cebu Pacific and they accepted the VOA fact/option.

As for Thailand, seems that Air Asia is getting stricter. Major western carriers have divergent policies. Thorntree forum has a whole sticky on this topic which constant updates like recent reports. It could be helpful
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Makes sense.
Actually this is not totally true. Why they want to see ticket out of country? 1) So that you can show you are not going to stay in country too long illegally. For this bus ticket is enough. 2) The point you make, is true also. BUT most cheap flight tickets you cannot change the date or anything. So they are as useless as the bus ticket. Airline might want to see you have for example credit card so that you can buy ticket out in your scenario. It pretty much depend on the check in clerk on what they want to see... Bus/flight ticket, credit card. So in the end having credit card + ticket out of country (bus, ferry, flight) is what you really need.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:04 pm
Makes sense.
Actually this is not totally true. Why they want to see ticket out of country? 1) So that you can show you are not going to stay in country too long illegally. For this bus ticket is enough. 2) The point you make, is true also. BUT most cheap flight tickets you cannot change the date or anything. So they are as useless as the bus ticket. Airline might want to see you have for example credit card so that you can buy ticket out in your scenario. It pretty much depend on the check in clerk on what they want to see... Bus/flight ticket, credit card. So in the end having credit card + ticket out of country (bus, ferry, flight) is what you really need.
HD is 100% correct and ur 100% incorrect.

They (the AIRLINES) want to see a ticket out of the country ( or a visa) in case ur refused entry to the country at immigration and the airlines is not stuck paying for u to return you from where u came.
99% of airline tickets can be changed ( even budget airlines like air asia) its just going to cost u alot

after ur thru immigration the airlines has nothing to do with where u go or if u leave or not , nor do they care. :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic