Egyptian Tourist Traveling With Canadian Girlfriend Gets Accused of Terrorism By Cambodian Immigration

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Egyptian Tourist Traveling With Canadian Girlfriend Gets Accused of Terrorism By Cambodian Immigration

Post by General Mackevili »

I just saw this the "Cambodia Visa and Work Permit" Group. A Canadian lady says that her boyfriend was hassled at the airport due to his citizenship (Egyptian).

They wanted to her proof she had enough money for their stay and mentioned several times that terrorists come from Egypt, so they were hesitant to let him in the country. They are also informed that their (tourist?) visas could not be extended.

I don't know, strange story.

Script:
Spoiler:
I want to write about an experience I had coming in to Cambodia. I am a Canadian travelling with my Egyptian boyfriend. When we got to the desk I was asked to produce evidence that I had enough money to support both of us. They wanted bank statements which of course I never carry with me. I have been to Cambodia several times and never had this experience. The border person went on and on about Egyptians and Syrians being terrorists and they didn't want these people in the country. I was forced to sign a piece of paper that said if I left the country first without the boyfriend the police would catch my friend. Seriously it put a big black mark on our holiday and as it turned out a family emergency called us out of the country earlier than the thirty days. We were told by the officer that we would NOT be able to extend our stay!!! So just a warning for those travelinImage️g with someone on a different passport from your own.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Egyptian Tourist Traveling With Canadian Girlfriend Gets Accused of Terrorism By Cambodian Immigration

Post by John Bingham »

Traveling with Arabs has its ins and outs.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Re: Egyptian Tourist Traveling With Canadian Girlfriend Gets Accused of Terrorism By Cambodian Immigration

Post by finbar »

I think the title should be "Egyptian boyfriend traveling with Canadian tourist accused of being a terrorist".
Like "Cambodian girlfriend traveling with American tourist accused of being a prostitute".
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

finbar wrote:I think the title should be "Egyptian boyfriend traveling with Canadian tourist accused of being a terrorist".
Like "Cambodian girlfriend traveling with American tourist accused of being a prostitute".
Thanks. Six of one, half a dozen of the other?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

Maybe they wanted to see a work permit.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Artful Dodger
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Artful Dodger »

That is just silly
Water quenches the thirst, alcohol releases the truth.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

It must have been shocking for her to discover that the Cambodian culture is not the same as Canadian (and most other western countries) when it comes to PC issues.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic