Do I *really* need onward travel?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Do I *really* need onward travel?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:17 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am if ur white, flying from a western country 99% chance no one will ask a thing and even if they do, ask to speak to the supervisor and tell them ur flying in and will get the visa on arrival.
He's not asking about visas. It's about the onward journey rule.
both rules go hand in hand
you either need a pre bought visa or onward travel, that is the rule
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:32 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am if ur white, flying from a western country 99% chance no one will ask a thing and even if they do, ask to speak to the supervisor and tell them ur flying in and will get the visa on arrival.
I've never had a prob with that myself. Eg In Asia I always fly into BKK which give VOA. Nobody has ever asked me about the need for a visa at flight departure, in London for example. Have you been hassled about it when travelling to BKK?
See crook!!!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ur white and western country, u can NOT get a VOA for Thailand
u do get a visa exempt stamp good for 30 days.
NOTE if u do this often ( seems to be around 6 of them ), these are the people that are currently possibly getting hassled by not having an onward flight AND 20,000 baht in hand
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:56 pm ur white and western country, u can NOT get a VOA for Thailand
u do get a visa exempt stamp good for 30 days.
NOTE if u do this often ( seems to be around 6 of them ), these are the people that are currently possibly getting hassled by not having an onward flight AND 20,000 baht in hand
Less hastle to fly into / out of Vietnam nowadays. Not that much difference in flight prices and it's free​ VOA for certain nationals too. Yeah, if you come from a low GDP country, i expect they would want proof of visa.
See crook!!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 pm
I've never had a prob with that myself. Eg In Asia I always fly into BKK which give VOA. Nobody has ever asked me about the need for a visa at flight departure, in London for example. Have you been hassled about it when travelling to BKK?
yep been asked a few times, ive always had a pre bought Thai double entry visa or onward travel so never been a problem
on my last trip from London > BKK, flying with Oman Air, they demanded i proved my onward travel, with my phone being flat,
i had to go charge my phone up for 15 minutes in order for them to give me my boarding passes,

times i remember ive had to prove visa/onward travel...
From London > Thailand... Air India + Oman Air...
From Aukland > Phnom Penh... China Airlines...
From Chiang Rai > Phnom Penh... Air Asia
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:12 pm
yep been asked a few times, ive always had a pre bought Thai double entry visa or onward travel so never been a problem
on my last trip from London > BKK, flying with Oman Air, they demanded i proved my onward travel, with my phone being flat,
i had to go charge my phone up for 15 minutes in order for them to give me my boarding passes,

Were they all in the last 3 or 4 years? I guess they know Thailand is getting stricter. It's a big joke Air Asia requiring proof of a Cambodian visa though. Cambo lets absolutley anyone in from western countries​. I think they were just being arses.
See crook!!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Were they all in the last 3 or 4 years? I guess they know Thailand is getting stricter. It's a big joke Air Asia requiring proof of a Cambodian visa though. Cambo lets absolutley anyone in from western countries​. I think they were just being arses.
past 5 years,
not just me, ive had a number of friends who ive told about it over the past 5 years and some took the advice and thanks me after because they got asked, the ones who didnt take my advice came back and said they wish they had have listened as they had to buy onward flights (£40 BKK>PP) in order so they could board the plane,
its more common than you think, theyve gotten really strict now, i get asked nearly every time
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

past 5 years,
not just me, ive had a number of friends who ive told about it over the past 5 years and some took the advice and thanks me after because they got asked, the ones who didnt take my advice came back and said they wish they had have listened as they had to buy onward flights (£40 BKK>PP) in order so they could board the plane,
its more common than you think, theyve gotten really strict now, i get asked nearly every time
Yeah, i haven't done that much flying in the last 6 or so years. Just use the motorbike now filpping back and forth from Vietnam. Hate buses. My last flight was the Air India one from Heathrow. They just wanted an itinerary. I didn't need to pay for an onward flight as I posted if I had had one printed, I just had to change the flight till the next day through lack of time before departure. But if i was the op, i think i may just buy and book that onward bus ticket after what you and others have said.
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:40 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:30 pm

past 5 years,
Yeah, i haven't done that much flying in the last 6 or so years. Just use the motorbike now filpping back and forth from Vietnam. Hate buses.
yeah think it started getting strict around when i first started coming out here 5-6 years ago, the past 2 years its seemed to be standard practice to ask, rather than just a luck of the draw with the person checking you in whether they gave a fuck or not
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I had price checked online but stopped by a Flight Centre in Sydney before I left. The woman there quoted me a more expensive fare (despite their lowest airfare guarantee), then told me she couldn't even sell me a ticket without proving onward travel.

I bought a Mekong bus ticket to SGN online just in case. But tbh you could rock up at the airport 30 mins earlier, try and check in... and if they don't like it.. step away and book a bus ticket on your phone or laptop, and go and check in again, showing them your onward ticket.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic