Do I *really* need onward travel?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Do I *really* need onward travel?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

So, I'm moving to Cambodia on 1 August and my inbound air itinerary is one-way. I've been reading the very good book, "Move to Cambodia" by Lina Goldberg, and she says that I should have an inexpensive (and ideally cancellable) onward air ticket, not so much for customs' purposes as to allay any fears that the airline might have, regarding the need to fly me back if my entry is denied. The trouble is, I just read that yesterday and my departure is coming up so fast that I worry about the expense involved.

My question is in two parts: (1) Will an airline -- especially an Asia-based airline like Eva, which is who I'm flying with -- *really* require me to prove onward travel, or is this a case of Ms Goldberg being overly conservative in case someone gets burned for taking her advice? (2) If the answer to 1 is "Well, yeah, better safe than sorry," could I perhaps make due with a Giant Ibis bus ticket to Saigon, instead? I'd much rather burn eight bucks than risk trying to recover a couple of hundred.

Thanks again, everyone! The feedback to my questions has been super-helpful and nobody has called me a twit for asking them, which is doubly cool. :-)
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Do I *really* need onward travel?

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 pm So, I'm moving to Cambodia on 1 August and my inbound air itinerary is one-way. I've been reading the very good book, "Move to Cambodia" by Lina Goldberg, and she says that I should have an inexpensive (and ideally cancellable) onward air ticket, not so much for customs' purposes as to allay any fears that the airline might have, regarding the need to fly me back if my entry is denied. The trouble is, I just read that yesterday and my departure is coming up so fast that I worry about the expense involved.

My question is in two parts: (1) Will an airline -- especially an Asia-based airline like Eva, which is who I'm flying with -- *really* require me to prove onward travel, or is this a case of Ms Goldberg being overly conservative in case someone gets burned for taking her advice? (2) If the answer to 1 is "Well, yeah, better safe than sorry," could I perhaps make due with a Giant Ibis bus ticket to Saigon, instead? I'd much rather burn eight bucks than risk trying to recover a couple of hundred.

Thanks again, everyone! The feedback to my questions has been super-helpful and nobody has called me a twit for asking them, which is doubly cool. :-)
Air India are notorious for sometimes enforcing this rule at the departure airport. They get fined if you're not allowed into the destination country. The solution is simple and I have also been advised by their staff to do this:

Go through the process of booking your onward journey and just print the page out before payment.
It has the date of travel, flight number, flier's name, and time of flight on it. Just show them that if they ask. Which they rarely do.
Never been asked on any other airline other than Indian Airlines from London to Mumbai.

If you're​ still worried, then book the bus ticket. That's also good enough as proof of onward journey.
See crook!!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:38 pm
Dangerous Dave wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:11 pm So, I'm moving to Cambodia on 1 August and my inbound air itinerary is one-way. I've been reading the very good book, "Move to Cambodia" by Lina Goldberg, and she says that I should have an inexpensive (and ideally cancellable) onward air ticket, not so much for customs' purposes as to allay any fears that the airline might have, regarding the need to fly me back if my entry is denied. The trouble is, I just read that yesterday and my departure is coming up so fast that I worry about the expense involved.

Air India are notorious for sometimes enforcing this rule at the departure airport. They get fined if you're not allowed into the destination country. The solution is simple and I have also been advised by their staff to do this:

Go through the process of booking your onward journey and just print the page out before payment.
It has the date of travel, flight number, flier's name, and time of flight on it. Just show them that if they ask. Which they rarely do.
Never been asked on any other airline other than Indian Airlines from London to Mumbai.

If you're​ still worried, then book the bus ticket. That's also good enough as proof of onward journey.
ive been asked a number of times to check Visa or Onward Travel...
From London > Thailand... Air India + Oman Air...
From Aukland > Phnom Penh... China Airlines...
From Chiang Rai > Phnom Penh... Air Asia
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

if ur white, flying from a western country 99% chance no one will ask a thing and even if they do, ask to speak to the supervisor and tell them ur flying in and will get the visa on arrival.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i got it a couple of times, just sign a waiver saying you will be responsible for costs.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I have been asked several times in Australia (twice), Sri Lanka and elsewhere. I just show them a passport full of visas and tell them it's visa on arrival. Some airlines do it to extract an extra fare.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I find one way flights expensive. Yes the return would be a little more, but only a little. And if you do have a return you can always change the date. Stops any problems with authorities.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

frank lee bent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:25 am i got it a couple of times, just sign a waiver saying you will be responsible for costs.
Air India doesn't offer that option.
All they want to do is put a check on a piece​ of paper. I forgot once to be prepared and got caught out. Cost me 100 to change the flight to the next day. Came back for the same flight the next day and wasn't even asked. A lot of the time it depends on whether there is an asshole on the desk.
If I had had a phone on the inet, i could have just shown them the booking page they said. The Indians were everywhere with 40 suitcases each. No time by the time I had got to the counter to get to a comp in the airport.

I actually was asked one other time before that at about 3.30 am in Kenya or somewhere, i just showed them the itenery i had printed​ out.
They took it away and 5 minutes later came back and said OK.
See crook!!!
Gumby
Expatriate
Madagascar

Post by Gumby »

AirAsia has asked me for onward tickets when flying in Siem Reap from Oz.

Maybe the cheapest/easiest option is to buy a www.giantibis.com bus ticket from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City as proof of onward travel.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:26 am if ur white, flying from a western country 99% chance no one will ask a thing and even if they do, ask to speak to the supervisor and tell them ur flying in and will get the visa on arrival.
He's not asking about visas. It's about the onward journey rule.
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic