planning to come in September for 3 months to Phnom Penh

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ken
Tourist
Kazakhstan

planning to come in September for 3 months to Phnom Penh

Post by Ken »

Hi!
My name is Ken. Currently living in Almaty (Kazakhstan).
I'm planning to come in September for 3 months to Phnom Penh for market research. I would appreciate if you could help me.
1. Is it possible to open ordinary visa, even if I'm not planning to have work permit? If market research after 3 months will show opportunities then I’ll go for work permit and company registration.

2. How to Find a Real Estate Agent? Need to rent apartment. Maybe you can recommend someone.
Also, I have some general questions about the country, and we could discuss them at dinner (at my expense) after my arrival.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: planning to come in September for 3 months to Phnom Penh

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

1. Apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, valid for 1 mth.

At least 1 week prior to your VOA expiring, take your passport to a reputable agency and apply for an EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay). 1,3 & 6 mth EG EOS's are available but only the 6 mth EG EOS is valid for multi-entry/exit.

Work Permit is not required for this type of EOS, it is for those looking for business opportunities and or seeking employment.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

2. Read Vladimirs guide to finding an apartment.

housing-for-rent-sale/how-rent-property ... e-t64.html
Ken
Tourist
Kazakhstan

Post by Ken »

thanks!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i assume many of us are holding our tongues, so Gonk does not get upset :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
gharrik
Tourist

Post by gharrik »

Ken wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:17 pm Hi!
My name is Ken. Currently living in Almaty (Kazakhstan).
I'm planning to come in September for 3 months to Phnom Penh for market research. I would appreciate if you could help me.
1. Is it possible to open ordinary visa, even if I'm not planning to have work permit? If market research after 3 months will show opportunities then I’ll go for work permit and company registration.

2. How to Find a Real Estate Agent? Need to rent apartment. Maybe you can recommend someone.
Also, I have some general questions about the country, and we could discuss them at dinner (at my expense) after my arrival.
hallo Ken
I am living here since 6 years
My landlord has a nice one bedroom apartment to rent, even for 3 months . It is in the center of PPen but quiet and safe as we have many foreigners living here
I think they will rent out for 400 dollar a month . Do not go to agencies for renting, you will pay heavy price. As it low season you can even make a terrific deal in one of the hotels here. The hotel where I put most of my customers is actually at 25 dollar a night, it has swimming pool. Do not forget that this rate includes wifi and electric and electric is expensive here. This will be for a suite, 30 square meters. There is another hotel offering a 60 sm room for around 850 dolar a month , also with swimming pool
As to visa take a business visa at arrival, same can be extended for one or more months, as you wish . No need for working permit , only if you stay long time .
you need more info you can send me PM
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 pm 1. Apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on Arrival, $35, valid for 1 mth.

At least 1 week prior to your VOA expiring, take your passport to a reputable agency and apply for an EG (General) EOS (Extension of Stay). 1,3 & 6 mth EG EOS's are available but only the 6 mth EG EOS is valid for multi-entry/exit.

Work Permit is not required for this type of EOS, it is for those looking for business opportunities and or seeking employment.
Am I missing something here! (Ordinary) Business visa. Yes or No? Now needs a work permit.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BUT if ur NOT working, u cant get one>>>>
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

With holding a business visa it now should be accompanied with a work permit, as you with this type of visa are looking for work.
I know it has been a loop hole for many years, or a grey area.
Tourist or Retirement are the alternative. Then no WP needed. And no fines from immigration if they question you for any reason.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's an option to get an ordinary/business visa on entry with the aim of looking for work, there is a specific designation like "ES" or something, and it gives you a limited amount of time like 6 months before you find work and then apply for a work permit. No idea how or if this works in principle.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic