Lucky supermarket at Soriya

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Lucky supermarket at Soriya

Post by nightmare.believer »

Milk was on sale. I bought a 2 liter bottle. Got home and I had bought milk at twice that price. Similar occurrences in the past also. I wonder if it was a mistake or if they mislabel items on purpose.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: Lucky supermarket at Soriya

Post by Joker Poker »

Not hard to believe, the pricing and ticketing in supermarkets here is laughable. Have a look in Paragon supermarket, lots of the products are unpriced. Very hard to sell stuff when there is no fucking price...

I wanted to buy some Becks beer there once as the price ticketed on the fridge door was good. When it was scanned the price came up considerably more so I didn't want them - the supervisor was clearly pissed at me for that. WTF?

Oh yeah, also on Paragon, I recently saw a rat on one of the higher shelves in the biscuit section . It was busily munching away on a packet of stuff and was completely unperturbed and didn't budge at all. It wasn't a particularly healthy looking rat as it had patches of fur missing, a bit like some of the ones you see running around Psar Kandal.

I beckoned one of the lazy staff over to show her, she was far too busy sitting down doing nothing at the rear of the store and didn't want to come, I persisted and she came, so I showed her the rat and she walked off. I went back in a few days later and the pack of biscuits the rat had been eating was still there in the same spot but the rat had moved on.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

i think food is relabelled.

had some very weird eggs, bacon as well as fruit.
this was imo clearly older than the packaging date.

the baguettes from the day before they dont do away the next morning...
picaroon
Tourist

Post by picaroon »

Lucky supermarket put their meat back in the freezer and relabel it if it doesn't sell. You can see sometimes they have a packed by date and the sell by date is blank, and this is sometimes discounted.

Egg boxes are opened and paper labels with new dates put inside.

Places like Bayon don't even put dates on meat, which is all frozen.

I was sold cheese by AusKhmer (The Food Pantry) that had the eat by date changed from xx/06/xx to xx/08/xx with a marker pen.

Often boxes of biscuits are crumbled, chocolate melted and deformed. Thai Huot sometimes discount the latter, which is ok if they are open about it. Last time I bought some almond shortbread there the contents were like sawdust. They absolutely refused to replace them, suggesting I had broken the biscuits myself lol.

We finally compromised by opening another box from the shelf: if they were ok I was to get no replacement. Naturally they were also crushed to dust, so they gave me a credit against my other purchases. But they were far from pleasant about it. Thai Huot overall has really taken a dive in quality over the last couple of years.

Most recently I found two Chilean wine 'bargains' there, expensive reds at suspiciously low prices. I have been lucky there before so I bought a bottle of each. The first went straight down the sink; the second was drinkable but impaired, and not worth the $15 tag. Of course I wouldn't expect a refund: it was a gamble on my part. A week later the remaining ten bottles were gone. Maybe bought by a restaurateur ?

For the record they were Almaviva 2002 and Carmin de Peumo 2009. Both normally retail at between $100 and $150.

Caveat emptor.
picaroon
Tourist

Post by picaroon »

Joker Poker wrote: Oh yeah, also on Paragon, I recently saw a rat on one of the higher shelves in the biscuit section . It was busily munching away on a packet of stuff and was completely unperturbed and didn't budge at all. It wasn't a particularly healthy looking rat as it had patches of fur missing, a bit like some of the ones you see running around Psar Kandal.
I've seen them putting rat poison around the open bins of rice etc. at Pencil :0)
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

picaroon wrote:Most recently I found two Chilean wine 'bargains' there, expensive reds at suspiciously low prices. I have been lucky there before so I bought a bottle of each. The first went straight down the sink; the second was drinkable but impaired, and not worth the $15 tag.
Sounds like the refrigerated truck broke down on the way from Sinville, goodbye wine.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic