‘Illiterate’ chief sees scrutiny after stumbling during swearing in Jarai commune chief,

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

‘Illiterate’ chief sees scrutiny after stumbling during swearing in Jarai commune chief,

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

‘Illiterate’ chief sees scrutiny after stumbling during swearing in

10 Jul, 2017 Soth Koemsoeun
An ethnic Jarai opposition commune chief in Ratanakkiri province’s Som Thom commune is facing ridicule online and potential scrutiny from the Interior Ministry after fumbling with the Khmer language during his inauguration ceremony.

Video depicting Klan Fes’s swearing in on July 5 appears to show him struggling to read a Khmer text.

National Election Committee spokesman Khan Keo expressed concern over Fes’s apparent Khmer illiteracy, pointing to a chapter in Article 35 of Cambodia’s Commune Election Law that requires candidates to be able to read and write Khmer. “The candidate registration is determined by the ability to read and write Khmer,” he said.

CNRP Deputy Director Eng Chhay Eang defended the selection of Fes, saying the CNRP selected a Jarai candidate to please the commune’s largely uneducated indigenous population. “[A] bachelor’s [degree] and PhD holder would not be elected as the commune chief,” he said.

Fes insisted he can read and write “a little” Khmer but stumbled out of anxiety over O’Yadav District Governor Ma Vichet’s response to his speech, which came beforehand.

“When I finished [a run-through of] my speech, the district governor said: ‘You want to develop the commune; where will you get the money from?’” said Fes. “At the time, I was so scared.”

Cambodia has struggled to foster Khmer-language literacy among the nation’s ethnic minority groups, and Cambodian Indigenous Youth Association President Ngach Samin said he found mockery of Fes over social media unfair.

“The organisers should have arranged translation and let him have the right to make a commitment about taking control of his village or commune in [the] Jarai language

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/ill ... g-swearing

Khmer are the BEST. The rest can't even really be considered real Cambodians.
See crook!!!
Rama
Expatriate

Re: ‘Illiterate’ chief sees scrutiny after stumbling during swearing in Jarai commune chief,

Post by Rama »

It is rumoured that Sam Rainsy is partially illiterate in Khmer

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/can ... ster-muses

I've never read a Khmer language tweet from him.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: ‘Illiterate’ chief sees scrutiny after stumbling during swearing in Jarai commune chief,

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Rama wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:03 am It is rumoured that Sam Rainsy is partially illiterate in Khmer

http://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/can ... ster-muses

I've never read a Khmer language tweet from him.
I feel sorry for people that are either ethnic or half and half in Asia, nobody seems to want them. Rainsy is the royalist exception, and​ it gets right up the PM's pipe. Although the Sino Khmet seem to get away with it more, owning 90% of the country, they are still mistrusted and​ disliked by many.

I'm surprised at Hang Chuon Naron, it seems like he may not be the man Cambodia needs after all. I think he did himself a big misservice​ in that report.
See crook!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic