Restaurant Review: Sweet and Spicy

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Here you go picooie:

Let me preface this by admitting that I know one of the two Korean owners, but I can honestly say that in now way does it affect this review. After learning about the restaurant a few weeks ago, I decided to give it a try. The place is a simple, no-frills family owned restaurant. Neons light the smallish shophouse which is painted a dark orange. The seating outside is rather nice as it's tucked back enough from the road to not be annoyed by the traffic, yet it still allows to people watch. The tables are stock-standard garden furniture with a very simple menu tapped under the glass tops alongside a small message that reads: “Please go take water yourself”.

After reading the simple menu, I decided to try the vegetable kimbap ($2) as I figured it would be nice appetizer to a pork cutlet main ($6). For those who don't know, kimbap is the Korean version of Sushi (it's ok, I also didn't know). The main difference seems to be that they mix sesame oil in the rice instead of rice vinegar. It tastes similar, but not exactly the same. The dish was quickly whipped up and holy crap... I received no less than 10 pieces along with a small bowl of miso soup, some excellent homemade kimchee and delectable pickled radish. This was a full-blown meal, not an appetizer. Feeling embarrassed at having ordered the cheapest meal they had, I took a tuna kimbap to go ($3) on my way out. It was definitely filling and completely satisfying taste-wise. They also offer cheese, beef and kimchee kimbaps all for $3.
Takeaway:

The second time I went with a friend and we sampled the tuna and cheese kimbaps. Both are good and the sliced cheddar cheese (as in, fake American cheddar cheese) gave a unique flavour to the dish. And I don't mean unique in a bad way, more of a surprising twist to sushi/kimbap. Again, those pickled radishes are a highlight in my opinion. My tatsebuds would probably allow me to eat a kilo of them. The kimchee is also amazing. I know nothing about Korean food, but the place seems to cater to a lot of Koreans, so I'm assuming that the food is authentic. They have many other dishes, but I won't embarrass myself in trying to name them. I'd like to try their $3 “toast” (in the pictures it looks like a crossover between a grilled-cheese sandwich with ham and French toast). However, it's only offered at lunch. The pork cutlet ($6) will be the next thing I try on their menu.

Pardon the pictures, there were a few people there and I didn't want to be that guy who takes pictures of his food, so I took two stealthy snapshots:

I guess I should mention that in regards to the kimbap, one shouldn't expect the same level as Sushi Shop or the likes (you get canned tuna after all, but a lot of it). But that should be expected given the price. However, for the combination of price, freshness and taste, it offers truly amazing value. Definitely highly recommended to anyone. It's definitely on my list of “go-to” places now. Cheap and delicious, plus the mother-daughter duo offer quick, friendly service (the grandmother, who famously makes the kimchee, has temporarily gone back to Korea). The central location is also good, making it easy to get to from pretty much any part of the city (except perhaps Toul Kork). Try it out and let me know what you think.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Restaurant Review: Sweet and Spicy

Post by General Mackevili »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Try it out and let me know what you think.
After that review it will definitely be on my list in a few weeks! Sounds like the prices are as good as they can get.

So, on the first visit you planned on getting the pork cutlet, but after the sushi arrived you didn't go ahead and over it? I've been feigning for pork, so I might have to update this when I try it.

Thx for the review!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Looks good, I'll definitely drop by there sometime soon.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
picooie
Expatriate

Post by picooie »

Looks good!!

I love Korean food. Are they open for lunch? Will definitely put it on the list. Thanks for the review BKL. I did a short review on the buffet thread. Sorry no pictures.

picooie
messy10
Tourist
Armenia

Post by messy10 »

Hello
May I know the list of all the spices used in Korean food???
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

messy10 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:20 pm Hello
May I know the list of all the spices used in Korean food???
You could try this place, I expect they know all about spices > > https://rawspicebar.com/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic