Modest Proposal 2

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Modest Proposal 2

Post by StroppyChops »

Satiated Parrot wrote:I seem to recall you were asking for him to be permanently banned. It was around last Sunday. I remember thinking it was odd, based on your other posts. I'll try and find the post later.
Found it for you. The post that was deleted in that thread was FC mentioning Mrs Stroppy and I in relation to unacceptable illegal behaviour. The emphasis in each post is added.
StroppyChops wrote:I strongly concur with Brother Dagenham, and call on the minister responsible to impose a time out. The line is well crossed.
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =10#p14986
StroppyChops wrote:I'd like post number 10 removed please GM
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =10#p14995
StroppyChops wrote:Given that he clearly has a substance issue that leaves him unable to operate his mouth in a safe manner EVERY night I suggest a permanent good behavior order - once he loses control, automatically banned for the rest of the night, no warnings. Once he hits the line he's incapable of participating with the other children.
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =10#p15003
StroppyChops wrote:
Tim Linkinwater wrote:Please don't ban the Chicken.
No, please don't. Just block him each night as he passes his tolerance level.
https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/viewtop ... =20#p15016
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

Well well, I never thought that I would ever (ever) defend a missionary but...SC is right on the "Fried Chicken situation"...it's all there in black and white...

The Chicken appears to be flying in a (relatively) straight line lately...he must have dropped that glass pipe and started drinking after posting as opposed to before...

Hey, I generally like poultry...so flying funky feathers can be a good thing sometimes...
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Hmm. So you suggested a nightly ban (or 'block'). That must've been what I read.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

I'm the OP and I'm reviving this post

This is a straightforward law enforcement problem. We enforce laws because they reflect our basic values. You can't smack your wife around in public, even in Cambo if the cops run across you doing so, because the law takes the position that women need to be protected. Clearly you can wait till you get home and smack her abound there and it is much more likely that no one will stop you. But no one would argue that you should therefore be able to do so out in the street without interference.

Similarly with kids huffing glue. This is a matter of direct brain damage. The fact that they may do so in a back alley or elsewhere is no reason to permit them to do it unimpeded on the public Riverfront or St. 51.

If we trusted the cops we would get them to stop it. But I think we don't because they would likely brutalize the kids. So an NGO has to do it at our suggestion and insistence. They do not need to nurture the kids, send them to Yale, feed them or teach them Chaucer in order to get this done.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Nicely put, Otis.

Unrelated, and ignore or PM a response if you prefer, are you a certain journalist?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i didn't know huffing glue was illegal?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

phuketrichard wrote:i didn't know huffing glue was illegal?
I don't know that it is in Bodge. I think the argument is more about collective responsibility/morality/fellow man/yada.

It is in Oz though, the logic is that the Commonwealth is responsible for your health, so self harm represents a cost to the taxpayer.
Otis
Expatriate

Post by Otis »

As to huffing glue being illegal, I can't cite you chapter and verse of the Cambo criminal law nor is it likely anyone here can. But to my practical knowledge and observation it is illegal everywhere in SE Asia as it is nowhere permitted by the police and would be swiftly dealt with on the spot.

Phuket, don't you know the above. Was you post meant to be playful? You've apparently been in SE Asia damn near forever. Do you have any info to the contrary?

"Unrelated, and ignore or PM a response if you prefer, are you a certain journalist?"

No I'm not a journalist of any kind. I'm normally not shy at all about the details of who I am. But be confident, my details are unremarkable. I was viciously and personally attacked by s some cabal of jackals on K440 after a fairly harmless post, entirely free of invective. It was a real awakening for a loose cat like me. Thankfully my identity was not know then so I'm keeping it that way now.

Stroppy, are you by any chance referring to N. Kristoff? For the record, I do not like him.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i really have no idea if it is or isn't but it seems to me if it was .... an i have seen kids at all hours of the day an night fucked out of their heads an smelling like they just built 10 model cars.... the police do nothing,
IN Thailand there not so obvious.

I still don't agree with corralling them an placing them in protective custody. It just is not right in my mind,
yes i understand their kids but..... Until the government has a program for them... fuck u cant cure all the words problems.

Everyone must make their on call, I prefer helping those, that not only need it, but do something showing their willing to accept my help and work for a change and are grateful for it.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

phuketrichard wrote:I still don't agree with corralling them an placing them in protective custody. It just is not right in my mind,
yes i understand their kids but..... Until the government has a program for them... fuck u cant cure all the words problems.
The government occasionally rounds them up and sends them to rehab centers. Here's the situation they face there...beatings, rape, torture, etc:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/12/08/camb ... desirables
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic