American Doctor Michael Vickery, Well-Known South East Asia Scholar & Author Dies in Battambang, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

American Doctor Michael Vickery, Well-Known South East Asia Scholar & Author Dies in Battambang, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

BREAKING NEWS, CAMBODIA: Dr. Michael Vickery, an American expat who is a well-known author and scholar in South East Asia, has passed away at the age of 86 in Battambang, after recently returing to Cambodia and having health problems. He was born on April 1, 1931 and died at 11AM on July 29, 2017.

Doctor Vickery was found in his 72 year old brother-in-law's house in Battambang, and his foster daughter, Anne Guillou, broke the sad news on her Facebook. She reports that Michael has not been well lately and had only recently moved back to Cambodia. His funeral was held today in Battamabang Province. Cambodian police have ruled the death of the American expat to be 'heart attack.' He leaves behind his Khmer-American wife. Condolences to his friends and family and may he rest in peace.

Email from Doctor Michael Vickery's foster daughter:
Subjet : To friends & colleagues of Dr. Michael Vickery
Date : Thu, 29 Jun 2017 22:32:47 +0700
Re : Michael Vickery <[email protected]>

Dear friends & colleagues of Michael,

As you may know Michael has not been well of late and has recently moved back to Cambodia.
With regret wish to inform you that Michael passed away today at 11 am in Battambang.

From tomorrow 30 June, until Monday, 3 July, you are welcome to attend his funeral at the following address:

162-G08 Rue Watt kdol TakoyVillage.Sangkat kdoldautev Krong.battambang Battambang province

With love,
Mimi
(foster daughter of Michael)
Images of Michael Vickery to remember him by:

More detailed information about Dr. Michael Vickery's death in CEO's Darknet Cambodia News section: darknet-cambodia-news/citizen-michael-v ... 14201.html
Last edited by CEOCambodiaNews on Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: US citizen, Michael Vickery, dies in Battambang

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Michael Theodore Vickery (1931 – 29 June 2017) was a historian, lecturer, and author known for his works about the history of Southeast Asia.
For those who wish to pay their respects, a traditional funeral ceremony is being held in Battambang:
http://michaelvickery.org/

Michael Vickery
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Michael Theodore Vickery (1931 – 29 June 2017) was a historian, lecturer, and author known for his works about the history of Southeast Asia.
Work on Southeast Asian history

Vickery's research and writings have concentrated on ancient and modern history of Cambodia and Thailand[3] with publications ranging from early history to contextual studies and interpretations of recent and contemporary Cambodia - being one of only a handful scholars, who comprehensively examined regional events during the 1980s.[4]

Vickery essentially contributed to and helped to extend[5] the scholarly debate of the Pre-Angkorian kingdoms,[6] the classic age and the dark ages of Cambodia, introducing and integrating the works of the Cambodian scholars Khin Sok and Mak Phoen by utilizing their alternative view-points.[7] On the basis of volumes of previously non-deciphered epigraphic inscriptions, Vickery elaborated on the fact, that many works of earlier scholars, "...written 20 years ago may be simply refuted by the discovery or the deciphering of a [new] inscription". and further: "To study nowadays Cambodian history with [Georges] Coédès would amount to do geography with Ptolemy".[8]

1984 he published his "carefully researched"[9] book "Cambodia 1975–1982" that covers the years of the Pol Pot era and its immediate aftermath. The work has since become a standard reference text on the Khmer Rouge Canon and Cambodia's Civil War decades before and after.[10]

Although Vickery, as a member of the Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars is often labelled a "Marxist" historian[11][12] by some scholars, he is considered to be and regularly cited as a "Cambodia expert"[13] and one of the "leading historians"[14] on Cambodian history.[15]

Vickery in the Bulletin Of Concerned Asian Scholars, Volume 21, 1989:

"My first contribution (1982) to BCAS [Bulletin Of Concerned Asian Scholars] was on CIA falsification of Cambodian statistics. I believe the task of BCAS should be to counter U.S. regime misinformation and mainstream self-censorship, and provide well-researched progressive information on Asia and the Pacific...[sic]"[16]

Vickery contributed a number of columns for the Phnom Penh Post from 1992 to 2007[17] during which time he engaged in political debate.[18] In 2008 it was announced, that he had been working with former Khmer Rouge foreign minister Ieng Sary’s defense team at the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, serving as an analyst and historical expert.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: American Doctor Michael Vickery, Well-Known South East Asia Scholar & Author Dies in Battambang, Cambodia

Post by General Mackevili »

I recognize the name of many books written by Michael Vickery, but I can't say I've heard of him. Sounds like he left quite a positive mark on Cambodia, bases on social media comments I'vve seena about this.

RIP
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Re: American Doctor Michael Vickery, Well-Known South East Asia Scholar & Author Dies in Battambang, Cambodia

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Sad news.
Here's a link to his site with many publications on Cambodia available to read for free.
http://michaelvickery.org/
See crook!!!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Some recent and some dated pictures of Dr Michael Vickery, books by him and also some kind words about him from Raymond Leos on Twitter:

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Some comments about Dr Michael Vickery's death across social media:
RIP , Michael. We lost one more historian of Cambodia. Big lost..

What a sad news! We lost a scholar who could speak Khmer fluently and has a great knowledge on Khmer History. May your soul rest in Peace, Prof. Michael <(

RIP, my academic advisor! We lost a real historian about Cambodia.

I met Michael in Penang in 1991 when he was at the Universiti Sains Malaysia. He came across as an opinionated, unreconstructed Marxist who made no bone about supporting the then State of Cambodia. When he asked me why i supported the reconciliatory role of Preah Karuna Norodom Sihanouk i explained how cambodia needed normalcy and historical continuity more than perfect political leaders. Rest In Peace Prof Vickery, I have enjoyed and gained so much insights from your books and articles over the years.

This is very sad news! He was one of my best professors who has inspired me tremendously. May he rest in peace!​ He will be always remembered!ImageImageImageImage

Very sorry to hear. Many condolences. He was a fascinating and charismatic man and a great scholar.

Deep condolences to his family. He was a remarkable intellect who has left a positive imprint on Cambodia. His works have helped many get to know & love Cambodia.

Feeling great sadness at the news of Michael Vickery`s passing. He was a great teacher, historian and friend. I admired him and he provided wonderful leadership. I will remember him. Don Hein

Michael Vickery, the brilliant historian of pre-modern Cambodia, passed away yesterday in Battambang. I've been rereading his pre-Angkor book lately, and it's reminded me how his work shaped nearly everything I've said or written about the inscriptions. A real loss for Khmer Studies.

Sad news, Michael Vickery has passed away. The last of the renegade Marxist historians of Southeast Asia. End of an era.

It's strange how those we look up, perhaps venerate, move on ... one way or the other. There's a whole generation of scholars of S E Asia who are no longer active or around and the world seems poorer for it. Vale Michael Vickery.

Dr. Michael Vickery, author of “Cambodia 1975–1982”, passed away at the age of 86 on 11 AM on June 29, 2017, in Battambang, in his beloved country of Cambodia.

Heritage Watch learned today of the passing of former and founding Board Member Dr Michael Vickery in Battambang. Michael was a man of great intellect and widely respected for his work on ancient and modern history. He spoke many languages fluently and had a rich and fascinating life and contributed so much to Cambodia and Southeast Asia more broadly. The current board of governors wish to express their deepest condolences to the friends and family of Michael during this sad time.

RIP to lose one well-known scholar & historian of ancient #Cambodia ​Michael Vickery https://t.co/pmCAoUBDGb

Ave Atque Vale, Hail and Farewell Dr. Michael Vickery, PhD, historian and researcher who loved Cambodia. His publications and his support for young Cambodian researchers are his legacy. Thankyou Michael.

Sorry indeed. Still, when people ask me what to read about that period of Cambodian history, I tell them that if they read only one book on the topic, it should be Cambodia 1975 - 82

Those who have studied and are studying at IFL have gone and are going through his book in year one, The History of Southeast Asia.

His history book is one of the most compelling historical reports, to me, for he analyzed all of the empires' political economy, relation and situation in each timeline of history of Southeast Asia.

My condolences to Michael Vickery :(

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

This is sad news. A very important scholar has left us. He was a fixture in debates concerning Cambodian history.

Calling him an expat is confusing matters. His involvement was levels above of what other people do.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

All of the main Cambodia newspapers had an obituary for Michael Vickery:

The Cambodia Daily: Southeast Asia Historian Dies in Battambang

Noted historian and Southeast Asia researcher Michael Vickery died on Thursday in Battambang province of a heart attack, according to local police.

He was 86 years old.

The scholar had worked in Cambodia and around the region since the 1960s, publishing dozens of works on topics ranging from the pre-Angkorian period to modern Cambodian politics, as well as occasionally writing opinion pieces in local English-language newspapers.

The Phnom Penh Post: Celebrated historian Michael Vickery dies, 86

Cambodia bid farewell to a giant of Southeast Asian scholarship on Thursday with the death of the American historian Michael Vickery in Battambang, where his funeral ends today. He was 86.

Colleagues, friends and family remembered him for his fierce intellect, unapologetic devotion to the truth, encyclopaedic memory and mastery of over a dozen languages, many of which – it was said – he picked up through various romances.

The Khmer Times: Cambodian history expert Vickery dies

Well known scholar, author and Cambodia expert Michael Vickery passed away on Thursday at his home in Battambang. He was 86.

Mr Vickery was an historian, a lecturer and an author known for his many works about the history of Southeast Asia, and particularly Cambodia.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Pizzalover wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:29 pm This is sad news. A very important scholar has left us. He was a fixture in debates concerning Cambodian history.

Calling him an expat is confusing matters. His involvement was levels above of what other people do.
I'm sure many expats make a valuable contribution...Beat Richner, many others, the term 'expat' should not/does not define one, actions do.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well he had been living in Chiang Mai for about 15 years, he appears he only moved back here very recently, perhaps he wanted to die here?
I'm surprised by how few people on these forums had even heard of him, maybe people don't read books so much anymore. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic