Availability of Xanax in Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

Availability of Xanax in Cambodia

Post by Ronny »

Me again guys with another question and this is an important one for me. As some of you might remember, I mentioned when I first started posting here that I suffer from Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia. I don't expect all of you guys to know what these mean but I hope some of you do and can give me information. Because I suffer from these disorders, I take medication, and as of now, Xanax is my lifeline when I have my "episodes" and I take it every time I go out in public. The only time I don't take it is when I'm at home because that is what I call my "safe zone". Over here in Thailand you can get Xanax by prescription only which means you have to go to a hospital and speak with a doctor. You can pretty much go to any hospital here and get it rather easily and I was also fortunate to meet a psychiatrist close to where I live who understands my condition so once a month I go to her clinic and get my month's supply. My question is, is Xanax readily available over there? Is it by prescription only? And if it isn't, you can just go buy it at a local pharmacy? And lastly, what if a policeman happens to want to check your person by chance and finds Xanax in your pocket? Would that be the grounds for being arrested? Ok, the last question might sound a bit wacky but I ask it because I know absolutely nothing about Cambodian police or how corrupt they might be. The last hing I'd want to happen is get into trouble because I take Xanax which is essential for me in handling my condition. Xanax, I know, is often taken as a "party drug" but for me I take it for a real medical condition so I'd like to know how Cambodians- especially the police, view this drug. If any of you guys can give me advice it would be great. Thanks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Xanax

Post by phuketrichard »

I have brought Xanax ( actually Axprazol) in PP from 2 of the Pharmacies near central market before ( last time was last summer)
no problems, no drs needed
In all my years of traveling and the one year i lived in Cambodia, never been stopped by police ad been searched.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Phuket. My condition is real and no, I'm not just some junkie looking to get high. When I cross the border, I will be taking some Xanax with me and I've already spoken with my psychiatrist who said she will give me a doctor's note as proof of my condition. I'm only wondering if I need to get it translated into Cambodian or not.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:59 pm I have brought Xanax ( actually Axprazol) in PP from 2 of the Pharmacies near central market before ( last time was last summer)
no problems, no drs needed
In all my years of traveling and the one year i lived in Cambodia, never been stopped by police ad been searched.
The generic name is Alprazolam, so that's what you should ask for.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alprazolam
I haven't bought any in Cambodia but I'm sure PR's report is still good. No problems here about prescriptions, and same goes for the police.
Cambodia is not Thailand.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

As long as a drug is available in the chemists you can buy it, and in any quantity you want. The only laws they have are whether it is legally available to sell and whether you (or at least the person who owns the chemists) has a licence to sell it. You have to know what it's called in India or France, which is usually going to be European style namings - e.g. paracetemol not Tylenol/acetaminophen. Don't assume the person behind the counter in a white coat has a pharmacy qualification, so make sure you read the packet ingredients. I've found that the process here is that you ask your buddies what they think is the best drug for your condition and you then go and ask the pharmacist for it, who'll then guess the dosage. I always read the label and check the dosage as a lot of times they get it wrong, especially important if you have kids, those fuckers kill loads of children here, with impunity. It's not a crime for them to sell you something that'll kill you.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks for the advice, cpt, but I've had this condition for a long time and know exactly what I need (Xanax). There's no way I'd ask any "buddy" about what I should take when I know what I need to be taking. The only thing I need to know now is what other names Xanax might be called in Cambodia.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ Ronnie. If you already have a doctor's prescription for Xanax then you know the dosage you need. So you can buy Alprazolam from a chemist in Cambodia without prescription and take the dose recommended by your Thai doctor.
As cptrelentless says, the problem is knowing the dosage required, but if you know how much you should be taking then that should be ok. If you have problems, then stop the medication and see a proper doctor in PP.

If you don't know what dosage you need then its a different story, and I would advise seeing a doctor. Most of the chemists in Cambodia don't know much about the drugs they sell and their side-effects.
And don't forget, this is free advice from an anonymous online forum member FWIW.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i just checked my box; 100 10 mg diazepam about $4.50 from India Zepam.slightly different- but not much.
ppl really think this is a party drug?
http://www.healthline.com/health/mental ... m-vs-xanax
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:02 pm i just checked my box; 100 10 mg diazepam about $4.50 from India
Diazepam is Valium, not Xanax
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:03 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:02 pm i just checked my box; 100 10 mg diazepam about $4.50 from India
Diazepam is Valium, not Xanax
LOL, good one frank( BTW i pay $1.10 for a box of 40 10 mgs diazepam) take 4 and sleep--- sleep----sleep

the Axprazol i have are .5 mg, made in Indonesia by Mersi
$11 for a box of 100
Last edited by phuketrichard on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic