Where to buy decent quality shirts at a decent price

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Where to buy decent quality shirts at a decent price

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I have to buy some new shirts and I'm not going to Bangkok to buy them.
Does anyone have a decent shop or even market stand they can recommend?
My arms are way, way too long for long sleeved shirts, so short sleeves are essential.
Preferably​ plain colours or white. Hopefully with XXL sizes.

Back in the UK I could pick one up for around $15 - 20, so that would do.

Also, does anywhere sell nice ties? Good quality at reasonable prices?

It's about time I smartened myself up a bit after the General called me dirty.
See crook!!!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Where to buy decent quality shirts at a decent price

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No idea about shirts in your size, but there was a decent selection of ties in the Aeon Mall Department Store (2nd or 3rd floor? menswear section obviously).

I hope you're not considering wearing a tie with short sleeved shirts! That's just wrong... Unless you're a teacher I suppose, I remember some of my teachers used to dress like that.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

I love buying shirts in Phnom Penh.
Street 113, near O'russey Market
https://goo.gl/maps/KV6DAJb8jQy
Under the CNRP sign.
Huge selection of fabrics, I always get either 100% cotton or linen.
Fabric costs between $3-6 and tailoring $3-4 = a tailored shirt for $6-10.
Bargain.

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Rama wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:42 pm I love buying shirts in Phnom Penh.
Under the CNRP sign.
Bargain.

Hi Rama, thanks for the info. I popped in there this evening and was quoted $6.5 for the fabric and $5 to make a white long sleeved.

The only materials they showed me were on racks on the right of the shop. Mostly plain greys and browns, all fairly dark - in fact I thought they were for trousers. They had a roll of white cotton that was okish, but no light colours or selction of different cottons/ linens.

Are there more materials available that aren't on display? Any weaves or different plies etc?
They only seem to speak Khmer in there, so maybe I missed something.

It is possible I had the wrong shop I suppose, it was the one under the CNRP sign to the rght.
Cheers
See crook!!!
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

^ little 'shop' with a baby's cot at the front and stairs at the back going up stairs?
There should be lots of different shirt fabrics hanging up on the right and left.
I often buy fabrics from the shops immediately to the right or left and get this place to tailor it.

I speak Khmer and am a regular customer so might be getting a slightly cheaper price (and not XXL either).
I wouldn't get hung up on it. Walk up and down that street, there are dozens of shops, and buy any fabric you like and then ask any one of them to make your shirts.
Shirts are easy enough to measure and cut well (trousers not so).
Good luck.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I'd also recommend getting tailor made shirts. I think I paid $5 at one stall for 2 meters of material I needed, than walk a few stalls over to a place that took the material and made the shirt for another $5.

Know EXACTLY what you want, as I regret saying 'up to you' the first few I bought, and then later realizing I should have told them what style collar, what cut at the bottom, how far i wanted the cuffs to be, etc. The only time I was NOT happy with my shirts was when I ordered some the day before I went on a trip and they said they would rush them and deliver them to me, guaranteed, before I left that evening. Had to just grab them and run. They sucked.

Also paid $20 for tailored dress pants, which I thought were a steal. All of these things were from the Russian Market.

I also liked that I could bring them any shirts I already had and they would measure me, take them apart and resize them for $2 or $3 each. I didn't like any of the suit/blazer styles they had, so never got a price quote on those.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Thanks for both those replies, but I would still like to find a shop that sells decent Thai made shirts off the rack for Thai, or just above, prices. It's hard to believe somewhere isn't selling them.

The prices in that shop weren't too bad. I've been round a few of those shops before in that area, and the cheapest I was quoted was $18. Which is why I gave up on them originally. The thing I like about factory made shirts is the quality control. Quality from those tailors is variable between shops. Probably variable for each customer too. I'm going to have one made there seeing as you've recommended them. And I'll search around for material. Cheers.

How long have your shirts lasted so far Rama? .
Last edited by AlonzoPartriz on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
See crook!!!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Under the CNRP sign.
Bargain.

thanks for this, been after getting a recommendation for a tailor to get some shirts made,
the fitted style shirts out here are great,
im not tall but im stocky so trying to get a shirt that fits my shoulders etc is a pain, as khmers are so slender
looking forward to getting back and getting some new attire, great prices!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Under the CNRP sign.
Bargain.

went to go find this place today but the cnrp sign is no longer about,
still plenty of places down that street, decided to pop in one of the bigger shops "Muny Lat" i think it was (written in Khmer)
$7 for the fabric $5 for tailoring, $12 total, said come back on the 15th (6days)
might check a few of the shops down there, see what deals i can find
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Imposter555
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Imposter555 »

have to admit that virtually all my shirts are bought from the racks of second hand thai shops located in main thai malls. simply better quality and style than any of the new stuff around in the same places. have to look real hard to see any indication that they are second hand. mostly imported from overseas and well laundered. cost about 100 baht each..
as for pants just cant find anything that suits my taste anywhere. size is also an issue. have to go the tailor made route using my own owned pants as model.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic