FBI to Assist ‘Crackdown’ On Dissident, Police Say

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ali baba
Expatriate

FBI to Assist ‘Crackdown’ On Dissident, Police Say

Post by ali baba »

The Cambodia Daily wrote:The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has agreed to Cambodia’s request for greater assistance as it attempts to “crack down” on U.S.-based dissidents, according to the National Police Commissariat website.

A delegation led by National Police Chief Neth Savoeun returned Saturday from a three-day visit to the FBI headquarters in Washington, where they met director James Comey and toured the agency’s high-tech facilities.

“In the meeting, [General Savoeun] asked for the FBI’s cooperation in the case of Cambodian-American suspects who have created an anti-government movement and said Cambodia would provide all relevant documents to help with the crackdown,” says the report, posted Monday.

“This request was accepted by the FBI’s high command.”

Mr. Savoeun’s visit to the U.S. came less than a week before the trial of Sourn Serey Ratha—the self-exiled leader of the dissident Khmer People Power Movement now living in the U.S.—begins on July 9 at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The incitement charges against Mr. Ratha date back to August, when he allegedly instructed four people to distribute hundreds of leaflets urging Cambodians to overthrow the government.

On Monday, Mr. Ratha, whose organization operates out of Dallas, Texas, led his own delegation to Washington for a series of meetings with U.S. officials, including members of Congress, senators and government advisers, focusing on the “Freedom, Rights and Political Liberty of Cambodia,” according to a press release.

The KPPM has also been lobbying its own case against the CPP government in U.S. courts. Last week, it sent a letter to the U.S. Supreme Court accusing the CPP of insidiously spreading communism in the country.

“I request the Supreme Court of the United State [sic] of America take action to investigate the action of the Cambodian People Party which is now expanding its efforts and influence as a communist presence in the U.S.,” says the letter from the KPPM dated July 1.
Since when could the FBI openly admit to ongoing violations of the USA's constitution? Usually they have enough sense to be discreet and deny its illegal acts.
Scarier than malaria.
starkmonster
Expatriate

Re: FBI to Assist ‘Crackdown’ On Dissident, Police Say

Post by starkmonster »

I think these Khmer Americans who think the government is spreading "Communism" need a reality check. It's such a retarded statement and demonstrates just how far removed they are from modern day Cambodia.

But I suppose getting U.S.law makers to speak out against crony capitalism would be like asking the NRA to speak out against personal gun ownership.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Communism is a crime?
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

ali baba wrote:
The Cambodia Daily wrote:The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has agreed to Cambodia’s request for greater assistance as it attempts to “crack down” on U.S.-based dissidents, according to the National Police Commissariat website.

A delegation led by National Police Chief Neth Savoeun returned Saturday from a three-day visit to the FBI headquarters in Washington, where they met director James Comey and toured the agency’s high-tech facilities.

“In the meeting, [General Savoeun] asked for the FBI’s cooperation in the case of Cambodian-American suspects who have created an anti-government movement and said Cambodia would provide all relevant documents to help with the crackdown,” says the report, posted Monday.

“This request was accepted by the FBI’s high command.”

Mr. Savoeun’s visit to the U.S. came less than a week before the trial of Sourn Serey Ratha—the self-exiled leader of the dissident Khmer People Power Movement now living in the U.S.—begins on July 9 at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

The incitement charges against Mr. Ratha date back to August, when he allegedly instructed four people to distribute hundreds of leaflets urging Cambodians to overthrow the government.

On Monday, Mr. Ratha, whose organization operates out of Dallas, Texas, led his own delegation to Washington for a series of meetings with U.S. officials, including members of Congress, senators and government advisers, focusing on the “Freedom, Rights and Political Liberty of Cambodia,” according to a press release.

The KPPM has also been lobbying its own case against the CPP government in U.S. courts. Last week, it sent a letter to the U.S. Supreme Court accusing the CPP of insidiously spreading communism in the country.

“I request the Supreme Court of the United State [sic] of America take action to investigate the action of the Cambodian People Party which is now expanding its efforts and influence as a communist presence in the U.S.,” says the letter from the KPPM dated July 1.
Since when could the FBI openly admit to ongoing violations of the USA's constitution? Usually they have enough sense to be discreet and deny its illegal acts.
Nothing listed here suggest they would be violating the constitution. They're essentially asking for extradition on wanted criminals (even though the "crime" aspect is obviously questionable to us... the Cambodian courts have established it) are they not? Encouraging people for an armed revolt/civil war however will be considered illegal in pretty much any court. My guess would be the US is working to get an extradition treaty (which they don't have with Cambodia) established so they can easily extradite criminals FROM Cambodia.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

When is my government (America) going to mind its own business and take care of problems at home. I guess when you have a police state, you want to help other countries to have a police state.

I'm not sure about all US states, but in Washington State it is a felony to be an elected official and a member of the Communist party. I uncovered an elected judge (who illegally dismiss a case of mine) who is a convicted criminal with an outstanding arrest warrant and was arrested/convicted of "Dangerous Weapons" while a member of the Communist Party. The elections BTW are rigged as no one can run against him as they have to be an attorney, member of the Washington State Bar Association and the corrupt WSBA won't let its members oppose him. BTW/ America the land of the not so free has more people in jails/prisons per capita than any other country on earth (2,200,000+)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Sailorman wrote:When is my government (America) going to mind its own business and take care of problems at home. I guess when you have a police state, you want to help other countries to have a police state.
Extradition of those causing violent uprisings (or trying to) in other countries the US is friendly with is FAR from a new thing, and honestly IS the business of the US if those people are hiding out in America. It's not Haiti...
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

'm not sure about all US states, but in Washington State it is a felony to be an elected official and a member of the Communist party.

You cant be a democrat?
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

If you like I will quote you the Revised Code of Washington. Its in the law and was probably passed in the Communist scare of the '50s, but it is the law and a state judge who is a convicted criminal flaunts it, but they run the show. BTW I'm not a Democrat or Republican, they are basically the same, both run by attorneys/bar associations and corrupt to the bone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic