Does Cambodia need normalcy and historical continuity more than perfect political leaders?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Does Cambodia need normalcy and historical continuity more than perfect political leaders?

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

I met Michael in Penang in 1991 when he was at the Universiti Sains Malaysia. He came across as an opinionated, unreconstructed Marxist who made no bone about supporting the then State of Cambodia. WHEN he asked me why i supported the reconciliatory role of Preah Karuna Norodom Sihanouk i explained how cambodia needed normalcy and historical continuity more than perfect political leaders. Rest In Peace Prof Vickery, I have enjoyed and gained so much insights from your books and articles over the years.
This is a quote from someone who wrote in rememberance of Dr Michael Vickery. I think the writer's response to Vickery's question of why he supported a conciliatory role of Preah Karuna Norodom Sihanouk is interesting.

Is HE right when talks about civil war ensuing if his party were to relenquish power?
See crook!!!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Does Cambodia need normalcy and historical continuity more than perfect political leaders?

Post by John Bingham »

It's a big question. Someone supported the coalition of Sihanouk/ Pol Pot/ Son Sann and thought that was somehow more normal/historical than the stable country the SOC were trying to establish?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic