A couple of shitty idioms

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A couple of shitty idioms

Post by taabarang »

Nah, that's too easy give me something more exotic.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

taabarang wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:05 pm Nah, that's too easy give me something more exotic.
im not sure what youre getting at? i was saying their khmer was good
the khmer thats not so good, is just some khmer that theyve learnt off their parents, you know the basics
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

OK Jamie forget it.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am I have been told that akun maka ploo means shit in your/ the front garden.
Used as a jovial / ironic way of saying thanks a lot.
I'm sure someone can tell me if this is correct or not.
I understand full well the parody of the English
"Thanks a heap" that you are struggling with as well as the missing "m" sound. Like anything I work hard for I respect it and those Khmer who helped me along the way. But the idiom Rick introduced above ""dol trawee, sawee goout."
fully applies to your attitude toward me. So, I respect the language, but not you. So long kid.
rick_o'shea
Expatriate

Post by rick_o'shea »

taabarang wrote:
AlonzoPartriz wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:20 am I have been told that akun maka ploo means shit in your/ the front garden.
"Thanks a heap" that you are struggling with as well as the missing "m" sound. Like anything I work hard for I respect it and those Khmer who helped me along the way. But the idiom Rick introduced above ""dol trawee, sawee goout."
fully applies to your attitude toward me. So, I respect the language, but not you. So long kid.
I have only ever heard "orkun makaploo" said by barangs, or by Khmer who work with barang barowners saying it to their barang colleagues/friends etc.
I've not once heard a Khmer say it to another Khmer in everyday conversation.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's like the word 'beksloy', one the sense of a madeup word used by teens/youngsters or in pop culture.

I understood (because i was told) makaploo to mean 'big pile of shit'.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

rick_o'shea wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm
taabarang wrote:
I have only ever heard "orkun makaploo" said by barangs, or by Khmer who work with barang barowners saying it to their barang colleagues/friends etc.
I've not once heard a Khmer say it to another Khmer in everyday conversation.
Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's like the word 'beksloy', one the sense of a madeup word used by teens/youngsters or in pop culture.

I understood (because i was told) makaploo to mean 'big pile of shit'.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. So it may be like the sai sabok, sabok sabai thing? I was told that it was a play on the sound of the word ploo in Khmer? I think I remember someone telling me the same as your saying, a big pile of shit. But a couple of Khmers have told me something about shitting in the front garden too. Lol.
I'll ask a student and see what they say. Cheers
See crook!!!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"I've not once heard a Khmer say it to another Khmer in everyday conversation.
Maybe I'm wrong."

No you're right and throw Akun thom thom into the same mix. And no it has nothing to do with shitting in your
r garden(unless you do)

An irate mother could call a pile of dirty clothes her kids threw on the floor ma kamplu thom otherwise the other word for a non fecal pile is muey kumno.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

rick_o'shea wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:00 pm
taabarang wrote:
Bek Sloy isnt a made up word/phrase, literally is means "to go crazy" "be fucked in the head" "to be a wild crazy person"

បែក ( v ) [baek]
to break, burst, crack; to break apart; to break up

ស្លុយ ( adj ) [sloy]
to be bold, courageous, willing to take risks, resolute; foolhardy; unperturbed

its association with youngsters and pop culture, is to do with the style of dancing, dancing in a crazy careless manner,
its the style of dancing they do to the "funky" music - រាំបែកស្លុយ - "Rom Bek Sloy" - the Crazy Dance

i love khmer music and dancing its one of my favourite part of the culture lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic