Why do Cambodians eat so badly?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Why do Cambodians eat so badly?

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Maybe. As a kid, my family bought meat, fruit and veg and Fucking weetabix. Oh, and tea. P

Got a biscuit once a week.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

vladimir wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 pmAlso, the Khmer diet contains much more sugar than I consider healthy.
Agree, but western food is terrible in that regard, too.

Think about all the stuff you ate as a kid...then add all the sauces, soft drinks, alcohol...there's not much in the western diet without sugar except salads, and then some clown makes salad oil with sugar in it. Read the food labels, you'll see.
Agreed, Western processed food is loaded with sugar; that is why I avoid it. As Vlad said: start reading labels in the supermarket and you will be surprised how much sugar is in products you would least expect it (pasta sauces, cereals, bread, granola bars, so-called sports drinks).
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

hanno wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm
vladimir wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:31 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 pmAlso, the Khmer diet contains much more sugar than I consider healthy.
Agree, but western food is terrible in that regard, too.

Think about all the stuff you ate as a kid...then add all the sauces, soft drinks, alcohol...there's not much in the western diet without sugar except salads, and then some clown makes salad oil with sugar in it. Read the food labels, you'll see.
Agreed, Western processed food is loaded with sugar; that is why I avoid it. As Vlad said: start reading labels in the supermarket and you will be surprised how much sugar is in products you would least expect it (pasta sauces, cereals, bread, granola bars, so-called sports drinks).
Western food kicks arse

Cambo food is rubbish , admit it hanno .
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

saigonjackpot wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:39 pmWestern food kicks arse

Cambo food is rubbish , admit it hanno .
Where does what I wrote support either of your comments?

Lots of rubbish Western food around, lots of healthy Khmer food around. I eat a lot of Khmer food at home and it is excellent, beats a lot of "Western" food hands down.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Postby taabarang » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:30 pm
"I don't even speak Khmer."

Having lived in rural Cambodia for 16 years and being married to a bilingual Khmer lady for slightly longer and speaking fluent tho not native level Khmer, yes I dispute your claim to the false assertion that you know what you are talking about.
Old poker saying, "The winners just smile and the losers say, ' Deal dammit, deal."
OK, so your saying the several Khmer that have told me this are talking out their collective ass. Fair enough.
Postby taabarang » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:53 pm
I put the correct idiom in my comments in karma evaluation; there is at least one other idiom which conveys the same meaning. The problem with the original English sentence is that it is too proper and becomes nebulous when translated into its proper Khmer equivalent
What are you talking about? I'm sorry but you have completely lost me here. What sentence? I said to eat badly. I seems like you're clutching at straws a bit here.
.Postby taabarang » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 pm
That is not the meaning behind the idiom "sii kmok" which is being obliquely referred to by the highly proper English sentence which invites your misunderstanding. The idiom really means to eat everything with no regard to others. Sometimes this idiom is followed by
'Ot tuk aoii kee." meaning doesn't save for others.
Now we get to the part where your trying to cover your ass. Not very humbly it seems.
Again, to eat badly means to be greedy, and it's nothing to do with food. You can say it in either Khmer or English if they speak it well enough. If you don't believe me try using it next time you go shopping and the shop keeper tries over charging by 3x. I can see that quizzes like this annoy you, so no worries, I won't be making another test.
Still I'm happy you let everyone reading know the true meaning to eat everything without regard for others does not mean greedy or grabbing. :facepalm:

BTW, I keep seeing Saigon's comments coming up positive but the text he writes is negative. More dodgey mod tricks on CEO?
See crook!!!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

AlonzoPartriz wrote:

Having lived in rural Cambodia for 16 years and being married to a bilingual Khmer lady for slightly longer and speaking fluent tho not native level Khmer, yes I dispute your claim to the false assertion that you know what you are talking about.
Old poker saying, "The winners just smile and the losers say, ' Deal dammit, deal."
OK, so your saying the several Khmer that have told me this are talking out their collective ass. Fair enough.
I put the correct idiom in my comments in karma evaluation; there is at least one other idiom which conveys the same meaning. The problem with the original English sentence is that it is too proper and becomes nebulous when translated into its proper Khmer equivalent
What are you talking about? I'm sorry but you have completely lost me here. What sentence? I said to eat badly. I seems like you're clutching at straws a bit here.
That is not the meaning behind the idiom "sii kmok" which is being obliquely referred to by the highly proper English sentence which invites your misunderstanding. The idiom really means to eat everything with no regard to others. Sometimes this idiom is followed by
Now we get to the part where your trying to cover your ass. Not very humbly it seems.
Again, to eat badly means to be greedy, and it's nothing to do with food. You can say it in either Khmer or English if they speak it well enough. If you don't believe me try using it next time you go shopping and the shop keeper tries over charging by 3x. I can see that quizzes like this annoy you, so no worries, I won't be making another test.
Still I'm happy you let everyone reading know the true meaning to eat everything without regard for others does not mean greedy or grabbing. :facepalm:

BTW, I keep seeing Saigon's comments coming up positive but the text he writes is negative. More dodgey mod tricks on CEO?
I don't really know why, but you give me the shits. I wish I had gone to school with you.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:43 pm
AlonzoPartriz wrote:

I don't really know why, but you give me the shits. I wish I had gone to school with you.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Did I hurt your feelings? You could have tried, but you would have soon changed your mind.
See crook!!!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"What are you talking about? I'm sorry but you have completely lost me here. What sentence? I said to eat badly. I seems like you're clutching at straws a bit here."

If you're lost here you're going to be even more lost in Cambodia. I have a real life and talk Khmer with my neighbors every day. I don't have time for lost foreign souls who can neither parse a simple English sentence nor speak Khmer. W.C. Fields said it best, " Go away kid, you bother me."
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
AlonzoPartriz
Expatriate
Spain

Post by AlonzoPartriz »

taabarang wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 pm "What are you talking about? I'm sorry but you have completely lost me here. What sentence? I said to eat badly. I seems like you're clutching at straws a bit here."

If you're lost here you're going to be even more lost in Cambodia. I have a real life and talk Khmer with my neighbors every day. I don't have time for lost foreign souls who can neither parse a simple English sentence nor speak Khmer. W.C. Fields said it best, " Go away kid, you bother me."
Glad your a winner and not a loser like me. There is a reason that I haven't bothered learning to speak fluent Khmer here, unlike eevery other country I've lived in a while or even just visited. I speak a but of Spanish and KiSwahili etc both of which I've studied formally. In a way I am disgusted with myself for not having learnt it seeing as I've been living here for almost 7 years now. Even though I have been offered free lessons by my students eventually. Not knocking your ability, in fact I admire it. But I did think you and a few others would get this one. It surprised me.
See crook!!!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Alonzo, I can't decide whether to perma-ban you now, or wait and let Frank Lee Bent do it.

Your question is totally a trolling question, particularly with your use of the word 'badly'.
If you google 'eat badly', you're inundated with results regarding diet. Nothing about 'greedy or grabbing'.

In short, you are a Dumb ass, and you know it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic