What's the average salary for Filipinos teaching English in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ellee0125
Tourist

What's the average salary for Filipinos teaching English in Phnom Penh?

Post by Ellee0125 »

I am currently working as an English teacher in Phnom Penh for a little over 4 months now and just getting 300USD a month (which I know is ridiculously low) but accepted the job for the sake of experience. Now, I'm on the process of looking for a more sustainable teaching job and any info is much appreciated. :bigeyes:

Thanks in advance :good:
SinnSisamouth
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: What's the average salary for Filipinos teaching English in PP?

Post by SinnSisamouth »

random thread
i am on these blocked lists;
pucketrichard
hotdgr
sailorman
rozzieoz
stroppychops

:fuckyou:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I dont know about teaching, but I'm sure there are opportunities in making better money in establishing something in the food line on Philippines food . I'll place my order now for some chicken adobo.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/03/09/fi ... bo-recipe/
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ellee0125
Tourist

Post by Ellee0125 »

Duncan wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:23 pm I dont know about teaching, but I'm sure there are opportunities in making better money in establishing something in the food line on Philippines food . I'll place my order now for some chicken adobo.

http://panlasangpinoy.com/2009/03/09/fi ... bo-recipe/
That's a good input. Better get my apron instead and let the magic flow in the kitchen :D

Chicken adobo will be a special for sure! :stir:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

$5-7 hr for teachers. Racism cuts in all directions it seems.
there is a phnom penh expat filipino group on fb, maybe they would have some ideas.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217046694975824/
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

^^It's more a practicality thing and less to do with race, in my opinion. Same reason why I doubt I'd get a teaching job paying as well as natives, because my accent is not one of the "big 3", U.S., U.K. or Australia.
-insert signature here
eriksank
Expatriate

Post by eriksank »

Ellee0125 wrote: Mon May 01, 2017 1:01 pm I am currently working as an English teacher in Phnom Penh for a little over 4 months now and just getting 300USD a month (which I know is ridiculously low) but accepted the job for the sake of experience. Now, I'm on the process of looking for a more sustainable teaching job and any info is much appreciated. :bigeyes:
I am looking for a Philipino/Philipina tutor in Sihanoukville. I used to pay my previous Philipina tutor 100 USD/week, which is a little bit more than 400 USD/month, for 5 half days (of 4 hours) per week; two half-days of which are supposed to be spent at the swimming pool. The other three half-days should be spent doing basic reading, writing, and arithmetic ("3R"). Meriam left to Thailand now. Dunno why. She apparently didn't want to stay in Cambodia.

You could combine this kind of job with another part-time job at a private school? Or with tutoring for a second family? Or else we could always discuss ...
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

Please promise you won't teach people to address guys as "Hello Suuuuuuurr." Just as every store worker says to every westerner walking near them in Manila. Bloody annoying American English!
Ukininam
Tourist
Australia

Re: What's the average salary for Filipinos teaching English in Phnom Penh?

Post by Ukininam »

Ellee0125 wrote:I am currently working as an English teacher in Phnom Penh for a little over 4 months now and just getting 300USD a month (which I know is ridiculously low) but accepted the job for the sake of experience. Now, I'm on the process of looking for a more sustainable teaching job and any info is much appreciated. :bigeyes:

$500 to $600 + visa.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: What's the average salary for Filipinos teaching English in Phnom Penh?

Post by vladimir »

It varies between $500 and $1000, depending on whether you start at a ratbag school or a decent one.

Much depends on your proficiency in English; many people believe that because you're a Filipino you cannot be a native speaker. I disagree, and the facts support my view that anyone can improve their proficiency with effort. If we do not believe this, why are we teaching Khmers English?'

I've met Filipinos with native-speaker proficiency and with very low proficiency. Enlightened admins will pay you according to your proficiency not origin.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic