CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: CEO and Khmer440 reach a GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT!

Post by vladimir »

Joon wrote:
Rain Dog wrote:Joon is a decent poster but I agree with Soi Dog ----- is there any male poster on this board receiving so many accolades for their posting style?
I didn't get these commendations because I'm a woman
Agree, I enjoyed your posts long before i knew you were a woman. Didn't make any difference to me when I found out.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
UKJ
Expatriate

Post by UKJ »

Joon wrote: I didn't get these commendations because I'm a woman.
Out of curiosity. How many "commendations" came before your gender was revealed?
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

This thread just keeps on giving.
It should be renamed The 440 Chatroom as it serves that purpose a million times better than the currently designated space.

Perhaps any thread that reaches 50 pages should have the suffice Chat added.
So this thread would become 440 Chat
Scarier than malaria.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Rain Dog wrote: Joon is a decent poster but I agree with Soi Dog ----- is there any male poster on this board receiving so many accolades for their posting style?

This and the obsession with AiA here --- are people pandering to K440 posters now?
Not at all, if you read back you'll see that a number of us (myself included) are actually arguing with her. And if there were a male poster posting here as clearly in their 2nd or 3rd language i'd absolutely praise them for it.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Racist, why are you praising someone for being able to post articulate, eloquent comments in their 2nd language? That is offensive to those who post incoherently in their mother tongue.
Scarier than malaria.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i lost track- who is getting bullied today?
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

OrangeDragon wrote:
Rain Dog wrote: Joon is a decent poster but I agree with Soi Dog ----- is there any male poster on this board receiving so many accolades for their posting style?
Not at all, if you read back you'll see that a number of us (myself included) are actually arguing with her. And if there were a male poster posting here as clearly in their 2nd or 3rd language i'd absolutely praise them for it.
No need to read back as I have been participating in it. I was actually arguing with her as well and told her I thought she was "talking through both sides of her mouth" on her bashing of people here for bashing k440 on this thread. Nothing personal on my end -- just usual forum stuff. I have agreed with her on other threads but not here.

She seemed to be taking it a bit personally and getting a bit frustrated that some people were criticizing her as a k440 apologist and when LTO highlighted she was "female" (by questioning that aspect) some other posters then came to her defense with comments like "hang in there". Have you ever seen this for a male poster before?

Soi Dog quite rightly called this and in turn was ganged up on himself --- with even Joon attempting to "prove" he was misogynistic by linking to a post where he called Brazilian Prostitutes in a football promo "ugly".

As you might remember from another debate you and I had, I really hate this type of bullshit. It should be fine to Criticize Israeli influence in foreign policy and propaganda efforts without being called "antisemitic". It should be fine to discuss problem with violence coming from urban minority groups without being called "racist". It should be fine to debate with a forum member who happens to be female without people feeling the need to "be sympathetic" because she is a "damsel in distress" or worse accusing a poster of being "misogynistic" as Joon and another poster did to Soi Dog.

As to whether gender plays a role in reactions to her, here are some quotes that can be found on page 7 of the "A Playground for Solo Ladies" thread on K440:

"It's also stimulated the first extensive proper high-quality debate between two female K440 posters that I can remember. :thumbsup:"

"^ That is a good thing. I like this Joon bird.(Like that Nirvana bird too)."

"Yeah, these are 2 chicks that definitely deserve some R.E.S.P.E.C.T. :felger:"

"i have great respect for the western woman. she is so smart and so i like to place a copy of something below for all to see."

None of this is an attack on Joon. I just do not think she needs the "damsel in distress crutch" and hopefully she will not choose to rely on it.

Soi Dog; however, rightly called this weird patronizing phenomenon and and got called a "misogynist" for his efforts. Joon doubled down on that accusation and that part I do find a bit disappointing.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
Garry.Crabtree
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by Garry.Crabtree »

Maybe she also speaks fluent lesbian? I hear it's a language of many tongues.
According to the proverb: The pun is mightier than the sword
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

For what it's worth, as a female poster on many forums (with a gender neutral nick and photo) I have found that once it's clear I'm a female, I get much more attention, some creepy but mostly positive. But it cuts both ways. Long before this discussion I remember thinking that Joon had an adversarial/aggressive posting style. Then I took a step back and asked myself if I would have thought the same thing she was a man. And I think I wouldn't have--what I interpreted as aggressive because I knew she was female I probably would have seen as assertive if she was male. I think we are often unaware of how much perceived gender influences our judgement of things, even for those of us who do try and pay attention to it. I know that I felt a real change in how people treated me on the other forum once they realized I'm a chick(en).
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

Crabtree, I actually do.

Raindog, I thought that particular thread title was unsavory and I gave it as an example as Soi Dog asked for one. And that is not the only one but that's the one I remember clearly. I am not calling him/her a misogynist but I pointed to a distasteful example of failed humor at the expense of sex workers.

I'm genuinely sorry you are disappointed because I hold you in good esteem and I think that you are misconstruing my intentions as the emotions are flaring in this thread. I hope that my future posting will make you review that position.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic