Welcome to Cambodia Expats Online!

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
badboybubby
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Welcome to Expats Cambodia!

Post by badboybubby »

Soi Dog wrote:Sorry to sound so negative. That is the last comment i will make about that site
nothing wrong with expressing grievance...this site was at least partly borne out of that...free speech and respect!...a winning formula...
keeping_it_riel_
Tourist

Post by keeping_it_riel_ »

«BANNED: As a reminder, please do not sign up with SOMEONE ELSE'S username that is actively being used on any other forums in Cambodia, unless it is yours of course. Thanks, and carry on!»

Modded by GenMack

:hattip:
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

keeping_it_riel_ wrote:
Bit harsh
Well user opinion is what count at the end of the days when you site content is user created.
Personally never had any trouble with KH440, but I welcome any tentative to make something new.
This being said I still think that having a frequent poster being a mod can lead to tension, especially in a forum targeting such a small target audience, audience prone to flame war in addition :-). I also do not understand why limiting the number of post, putting an ignore button could be a better and more efficient solution.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Personally I absolutely support the site admins and mods being active participants. Why on earth would you expect them to provide this service unless they themselves were participating at a high level? Like anybody, they will (and do) make mistakes, but in my experience they are open to discussion and feedback, and are very consciously creating a community centred forum, not an empire. My suggestion to those that want to constantly criticize (rather than suggest or request) is to go and create your own 'perfect' site that you are completely happy with. These guys (and gal) are doing just fine.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
ryoon
Expatriate

Post by ryoon »

I do not criticize but give feed back which is different.
I have limited experience on forum not being an IT guy, but one of those limited experience is with an anonymous no direct contact possible mod type of forum.
The mod are user also but even after several years of participation I was only able to identify one.
Numerous user get ban, flam war also occur but there is not the tension I feel on KH440 regarding the mod/banning question.

After this is a professional forum and as a direct consequence being ban from it can have some small repercussion ( like having to make a new profile, contacting your usual contact to communicate who you are and such). This is more a design for protecting the mod than the user, as it is they receive demand from lawyer for contact removal, to reveal user real ID or threatening court action (and in some case going the full way) on quite a regular basis
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

I have spent many years in professional forums - social forums are very different and you might enjoy the experience more once you relax and just participate, rather than trying to change the structure. Just my point of view.
Last edited by StroppyChops on Sun May 18, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

StroppyChops wrote:I have spent many years in professional forums - social forums are very different and you might enjoy the experience more once you relax and just participate, rather than trying to change the structure. Just my point of view.
Very good point! I'm also a long-term member of a number of professional forums, and they're indeed another kettle of fish entirely. Among the social forums, the Cambodia forums in particular took some getting used to for me, but I had been lurking for a while before signing up. Now I really like them (and I think it's great that there's now one more, this one).
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

At least 10 new members have signed up here in the one hour I have been logged in this morning !!
EdinWigan
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by EdinWigan »

So, I am thinking proposing a cross-forum games night, might be a little premature? :beer:
Remember your Karma helps a Wet Child In Wigan !
dagenham
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by dagenham »

keeping_it_riel_ wrote:«BANNED: As a reminder, please do not sign up with SOMEONE ELSE'S username that is actively being used on any other forums in Cambodia, unless it is yours of course. Thanks, and carry on!»

Modded by GenMack

:hattip:
Darn! I didn't know that this was against the rules. I registered here as "dagenham" - that asshole cunt from k440...what should I do?
Winston Churchill said, "Have a cigar, a glass of brandy, pet your dog and get a blow job daily for a productive and fulfilling life"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic