Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Barcodes to be put on all vehicle licence plates

Post by StroppyChops »

I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
I don't think it will be applied to anyone anytime soon. IMO, for the moment this is just a declaration of intention.
You know how things work here. Just because it's announced, doesn't mean it will happen next week.

Not saying this won't ever happen, but in the KOW you announce the idea first, then think about the implications, then work out if it's doable.
Announcement: Barcodes are to be put on all vehicle licence plates so they are all traceable.
Implications: All vehicles will be registered and relayed to a central data base that all traffic policemen will be able to access.
That should be more than enough to go on with.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:12 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:25 pm I'm curious about how this will be applied to all the SUVs and luxury vehicles that are beyond the law, and therefore don't have a license plate.
I don't think it will be applied to anyone anytime soon. IMO, for the moment this is just a declaration of intention.
You know how things work here. Just because it's announced, doesn't mean it will happen next week.

Not saying this won't ever happen, but in the KOW you announce the idea first, then think about the implications, then work out if it's doable.
Announcement: Barcodes are to be put on all vehicle licence plates so they are all traceable.
Implications: All vehicles will be registered and relayed to a central data base that all traffic policemen will be able to access.
That should be more than enough to go on with.
I think you're right. Give it another few years and they might start making headway with the new EOS categories.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

They've got a database, for what it's worth. I renewed my tax with just the vehicle registration card, rather than a pile of paperwork. It might contain even 10% of vehicles on the road. If they do tax stops again next year maybe they'll get more registered. Aren't the Number plates in the US only state based? I seem to recall seeing stuff on TV about them not being able to check out of state plates. And, uh yeah, why not have unique strings of numbers and letters and then use that as a vehicle identifier? Even if your address is just village 3 and utterly useless for locating the owner without a general search

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:34 am They've got a database, for what it's worth. I renewed my tax with just the vehicle registration card, rather than a pile of paperwork. It might contain even 10% of vehicles on the road. If they do tax stops again next year maybe they'll get more registered. Aren't the Number plates in the US only state based? I seem to recall seeing stuff on TV about them not being able to check out of state plates. And, uh yeah, why not have unique strings of numbers and letters and then use that as a vehicle identifier? Even if your address is just village 3 and utterly useless for locating the owner without a general search

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
To the best of my knowledge that is true. But there is a caveat. Your DL reveals all. Even your podunk Iowa town cop has access to the NCIC (National Crime Information Center) . Just a few clicks & they have your entire law enforcement encounters since juvie hall. Even my jay walking ticket!

How this translates to law enforcement here is a no-brainer. It doesn't. Maybe someday they will be able to determine if you have an outstanding warrant or unpaid fine. I doubt most of us will be alive to see that happen. Just as well. I think the pay as you go plan actually works rather well. Cuts down paperwork. :popcorn:
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Driving Licenses now come with much less visible info... but have a QR code ... which I scanned and it gave up more info about me
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

one_dolla wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm Driving Licenses now come with much less visible info... but have a QR code ... which I scanned and it gave up more info about me
DL from where?
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Cambodia
mauser765
Expatriate
Albania

Post by mauser765 »

Can't wait for some guy to tape a code from a Mars Bar onto his plate and watch the befuddlement
Money is human happiness in the abstract; he, then, who is no longer capable of enjoying human happiness in the concrete devotes himself utterly to money.
Arthur Schopenhauer
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Great idea but what about the gifted ones who don't use number plates?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic