Bringing external hard drives to Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Bringing external hard drives to Cambodia?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

All terrific answers, thank you all so much! As a first foray into the community I couldn't be more encouraged. Everyone is friendly and helpful and there doesn't seem to be any interest in those empty flame-wars that go on so frequently in other corners of the interblag.

I have many (unrelated) questions and almost all of them are probably either naive or redundant or both. I'll try to exhaust the search function as much as possible, but please try to be patient with me if I ask something that folks are growing weary of answering.

Thanks again!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Cool, as long as you don't ask whether you should buy a bar.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
saigonjackpot
Expatriate
Finland

Post by saigonjackpot »

vladimir wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:43 am Cool, as long as you don't ask whether you should buy a bar.
Where's a good place to buy a bar?
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:44 pm Hello, everyone, and please accept my apologies if this is a painfully naive, and/or redundant question. I've just joined the forum because I'll be moving to Cambodia from the United States in about six weeks -- so I'm just getting my feet wet in the discussion fora like this one. Thanks for being patient and understanding.

My question today is this: I own a 20TB personal movie collection which I keep stored on four external hard drives, and an I/T friend of mine here in the states predicted a "near-100% chance" that these would be interdicted by Cambodian customs officials at the airport. That sounded ... well, improbable, to say the least, so I was wondering if anyone here would like to weigh in? He seems to have based this prediction on what he fancies as insider-status on the question of internationalized intellectual property, but his sentiments are like nothing I've heard anecdotally or come to expect about the process of arriving in Phnom Penh on an E-class visa. Surely people who come to the Kingdom to work must bring significant data storage capabilities with them all the time, no?

Thanks in advance and, again, sorry if this post is in any way annoying.
My family came here about 3 months ago. I no way did anyone even come close to searching our stuff. Unless something has changed in the past three months (highly, highly doubtful) you have 100% chance of nothing being checked. Even if they do check they wont spend the time wondering whats on your hard drives.
ceotroll
Tourist
Australia

Post by ceotroll »

I am LOVING the posts that say you are 100% not going to get checked.

100% you say......
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ceotroll wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:22 am I am LOVING the posts that say you are 100% not going to get checked.

100% you say......
Oh easily!

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

ceotroll wrote:I am LOVING the posts that say you are 100% not going to get checked.

100% you say......
Good point. It's probably closer to 110%, but better to round down to be on the safe side.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if black they may bug you. they are assholes to black folks.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dont arrive wearing a sarong and singlet or 100% u will be stopped and hassled
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

phuketrichard wrote:dont arrive wearing a sarong and singlet or 100% u will be stopped and hassled
110%.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic