How do you respond when people tell you their financial problems?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Re: How do you respond when people tell you their financial problems?

Post by juansweetpotato »

juansweetpotato wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:06 am
rozzieoz wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:34 am We regularly have Khmer people tell us their financial problems, and I feel so uncomfortable each time it happens.

Long-term friends, people we have just met, random strangers - they all want us to know their dramas.

How do you deal with it when it happens to you?
I usually give them all the money I have on me then follow them round to see them, as I suspected, do it to everyone else they presume gullible enough. There are some genuine cases around, but mostly it's just like the local beggars here - there are so many people pretending that the genuine cases get bunched in with them.

Oops, I just realised you were talking about Khmer, it's not surprising I made a mistake because most of the people that have tried to hit on me lately have been boratey.
I normally give money to old people and musicians, but I try to ask a local what there story is, or just watch Khmer people that know them, and see what they do. It's the only way I can tell if they are genuine or not.
If they are genune, they get given money by the locals, so don't feel too bad.
Also, Khmer have enough money to help their own nowadays, so if they aren't helping them there is a reason for it.

The really dodgey one's will tell you the biggest lies, cancer, death in the family, etc etc.and are after a lot more than 500r -' try $500 'loan'. They need a good slap in my opinion.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
Just Another Dave
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Just Another Dave »

What financial problems? You pay for everything!

Except your shouts. :Yahoo!:
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Just Another Dave wrote:What financial problems? You pay for everything!

Except your shouts. :Yahoo!:
Read it again please.
I never claimed to have any money issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Just Another Dave
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Just Another Dave »

It's a joke...Joyce

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic