Foreigners Working in Cambodia. You think your job sucks?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Re: Foreigners Working in Cambodia. You think your job sucks

Post by The Add Jay »

yesterday my students showed me that picture...asking if I know him. Jesus..help me.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Cambodia is not the place for the fragile heart. Look at this dude for example:

EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Add Jay wrote:yesterday my students showed me that picture...asking if I know him. Jesus..help me.
I used to get this all the time in Indonesia. I could be in Maluku and someone would show me a pic of a random westerner in Jakarta or somewhere expecting I'd know him or her. Of course if it were a hot woman that was either showing me the pic, or in the pic, I'd say yes.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

saw him a couple of weeks ago, and he was really hustling hard.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

Look i dont want too paint the Brush here. So far everyone on this site is pretty awesome compared to other cambodian forums *cough*

But so far in my 2 years living here...8/10 westerner I have met has been an absolute fucking cocksucking rude douchebag. My main friends are from India...I got 1 Canadian 1 australian. And I highly question the backgrounds of the 2 white guys. But these are the only 2 I can ?count-on?

2 nights ago...this french guy in a pick up truck....in his 60s looked like grandpa...was squeezing down a street full of tuk tuks and vendors people etc etc....my bike was somewhat in the way but easily avoidable while . This guy hits my bike...Im literally right next to the window and I tell him hold on back up your hitting parked bikes....what does he do? he keeps going. I tell him wait wait go right so you wont hit. The guy pulls a bat out on me! he destroyed the side of his car in the process.

So many moments. ahhh yess..
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You're lucky. It's none to come across a Frenchman without a temper sometimes.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

On the topic about the French. In my neck of the wood there's a French dude, not in his 60s but in mid 70s who likes to speed on his red Honda XR dirt bike without any slightest consideration of the children playing on the side of the road.

Where I live, unless you are a pro rider or an idiot you can ride at 50kmp at the 45 degree limited space corner. This French dude does it with style. About 4 months ago at around 2am, there's a commotion outside my house, I woke up and checked it out. And LOL the French man hitting himself against the barb wire fence..."chui chui, chui kynom pong" (help help, please help me) were the words he could utter. Even though the neighbors look calm and caring but I can tell by the look of their eyes saying yep you deserved it. A moment later, a tuk tuk came, put his smashed up Honda XR on the tuk-tuk and long with the French man and took him to the Angkor Royal international hospital for a handsome 20% commission. I havent seen him since, probably still recovering somewhere in Paris. And then there's another story about the Belgium, my next door neighbor who got pimped out of 5k from one of Mikey's bar chicks and swore that he will never get involved with any Khmer (bar) chicks again or the pattaya ones. Half a year later, upon returning back from Belgium I ran into him all smiling and happy flinging his hairy arm on this new found love, a Khmer beer garden chick who I happen to know for many years. And the story continues.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I want to clarify something that the Khmer commenting on that photo misunderstand, and many new arrival tourists/expats may as well. Your embassy really doesn't give 2 shits about you in most cases without some home side pressure from friends and family or Cambodian side pressure from the police/government here.

You can't just show up and be like "Hey, I'm broke and was robbed... send me home please." and expect them to do it. Mostly because if that was how it worked 99% of the backpackers in Cambodia would spend their last dime, pawn their passport and spend that too, then show up with that story for a free ticket home. Not gonna happen. Some countries may be different, but I wouldn't count on it.

Here's what the US embassy in pretty much every country says on it, but from everything I've heard the reality is its much more difficult to make them act on it:
Under certain limited circumstances, the Embassy can make emergency loans to assist destitute U.S. citizens to return to the United States. Destitution is an extreme situation in which a person has little or no visible means of support or liquid assets, and no one (family, friends, neighbors, employers, charitable groups, etc.) willing and able to provide adequate financial assistance.

A promissory note must be signed before such a loan is made, the passport will be restricted for return to the U.S, and the repatriated U.S. citizen will not be issued a new passport until the loan is repaid. Plane tickets purchased by the Embassy for direct return to the United States may be more expensive than a ticket purchased by a traveler. The Embassy strongly advises travelers to obtain funds and purchase tickets themselves whenever possible.
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Those with embassy connections are those who wont be needing them.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

nightmare.believer wrote:Those with embassy connections are those who wont be needing them.
Valid point, lol.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic