Dutchman Stefan Struik & His Vietnamese Boyfriend Arrested & Charged for Abusing Cambodian Boy in Facebook Video

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Two Cambodian Men and A Dutch Guy, Stefan Struik Arrested By Police For Involving in Physically Abuse A Boy

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

The trial against the Vietnamese man and the Dutchman has started in Mondulkiri in the absence of the main accused, Tangdung [ Nguyen Thanh Dung], who is still in Vietnam.
Alleged child torturer’s confession read aloud
22 June 2017
A Vietnamese national charged with torturing a toddler was tried in absentia in a Mondulkiri court yesterday, where his Dutch boyfriend also faces charges in connection to the alleged abuse.

Tangdung’s confession was read aloud in court, according to a Child Protection Unit court observer, who asked to remain anonymous. Tangdung confessed that he tortured the child because he was under the influence of drugs, she said.

Struik, meanwhile, “confessed that he did not commit the torture, but he knew about the incident”.
Tangdung was charged under Article 211 of the Cambodian Criminal Code – torture or barbarous acts with aggravating circumstances due to the young age of the victim – which is punishable by 10 to 20 years in prison.

Struik was charged under articles 530 and 532, for failing to lodge a complaint about mistreatment or sexual abuse of a minor and for “hiding leads”. Each charge carries a jail term of up to three years...
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... read-aloud
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Two Cambodian Men and A Dutch Guy, Stefan Struik Arrested By Police For Involving in Physically Abuse A Boy

Post by kiwiincambodia »

What was the timeline between the videos being recorded and when they went public? I can't remember.

If they were old videos and this guy knew about it for some time, 6 years is no where near long enough.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Two Cambodian Men and A Dutch Guy, Stefan Struik Arrested By Police For Involving in Physically Abuse A Boy

Post by StroppyChops »

Curious, and this is genuine - is the onus on the westerner to report the crime greater than the onus on the Viet to not commit the crime?

Both need to be flogged publicly and then handed to the village women, but I'm curious about this one.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

It's on both of them. I'm not taking anything away from the Viet guy, he should be put to death. The westerner should have reported it as soon as he became aware of it, no matter who was involved.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:02 pm It's on both of them. I'm not taking anything away from the Viet guy, he should be put to death. The westerner should have reported it as soon as he became aware of it, no matter who was involved.
Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it - but I've heard a couple of conversations where the ONLY focus is on the white guy. It's as though the attitude of SJWs is "ah, well, the Viet guy was just doing what they do... trauma ... PTSD..."
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm Curious, and this is genuine - is the onus on the westerner to report the crime greater than the onus on the Viet to not commit the crime?

Both need to be flogged publicly and then handed to the village women, but I'm curious about this one.
Why do you ask this ? The Vietnamese guy who committed the crime is facing a 10-20 year sentence for his crime, and the non-reporter of the crime faces a maximum 6 year jail sentence on two charges (possibly two times 3 years). Seems clear that the crime itself will be punished more harshly than not reporting it.
So I really don't understand your question. The Dutch man is charged with not revealing a crime (against a minor), and with with-holding information which allowed the perp to escape. He risks 3 years for each charge against him. The man accused of the crime risks 20 years prison.
Tangdung was charged under Article 211 of the Cambodian Criminal Code – torture or barbarous acts with aggravating circumstances due to the young age of the victim – which is punishable by 10 to 20 years in prison.

Struik was charged under articles 530 and 532, for failing to lodge a complaint about mistreatment or sexual abuse of a minor and for “hiding leads”. Each charge carries a jail term of up to three years.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:33 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:38 pm Curious, and this is genuine - is the onus on the westerner to report the crime greater than the onus on the Viet to not commit the crime?

Why do you ask this ? The Vietnamese guy who committed the crime is facing a 10-20 year sentence for his crime, and the non-reporter of the crime faces a maximum 6 year jail sentence on two charges (possibly two times 3 years). Seems clear that the crime itself will be punished more harshly than not reporting it.
So I really don't understand your question. The Dutch man is charged with not revealing a crime (against a minor), and with with-holding information which allowed the perp to escape. He risks 3 years for each charge against him. The man accused of the crime risks 20 years prison.

Struik was charged under articles 530 and 532, for failing to lodge a complaint about mistreatment or sexual abuse of a minor and for “hiding leads”. Each charge carries a jail term of up to three years.
In all honesty I hadn't kept up with the case and therefore hadn't heard what had happened with the Viet guy - all I've heard being discussed is the white foreigner's role, and so I'd assumed (yeah, I know) the other guy had gotten off with a smack on the wrist or simply failed to show up. So, from my thus blinkered view, it was looking like only the white guy (who as I said should be publicly flogged and then given over to the village women) was being addressed for this heinous act.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Two Cambodian Men and A Dutch Guy, Stefan Struik Arrested By Police For Involving in Physically Abuse A Boy

Post by kiwiincambodia »

It should be noted the Viet guy was charged in Cambodia and it is unlikely he will ever be back here to actually face the charges. I don't know how long, if any, time he will have to serve in Vietnam.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm It should be noted the Viet guy was charged in Cambodia and it is unlikely he will ever be back here to actually face the charges. I don't know how long, if any, time he will have to serve in Vietnam.
See, that was kinda my general understanding of where this case was at... I was happy to be corrected though, although genuinely not sure why I then got negative karma for simply asking the question.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

kiwiincambodia wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm It should be noted the Viet guy was charged in Cambodia and it is unlikely he will ever be back here to actually face the charges. I don't know how long, if any, time he will have to serve in Vietnam.
Sure, once the Vietnamese authorities have put him through the processes (last I heard was he had been arrested and held in custody facing trial and a jail sentence), I don't believe he will be sent back here. It would be very unusual for a Vietnamese citizen to be deported here to face charges, especially after the authorities there had already dealt with it. I remember reading that he was only facing a 2-3 year sentence there because most of his actions just fell under a general physical abuse of a child type offense.

That guy was nasty as hell. :evil:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic