Paying Rent and Electricity bill.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Paying Rent and Electricity bill.

Post by kyleincambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 pm If you've got the EDC bill, you're expected to pay it, by the way - and count your blessings if you're getting it, it means the landlord is not ripping you off (on this, at least).
My rental agent is a stand up guy. I am paying 770kwh. Glad to know I'm not being played at all. No offense to all the quality Chinese people out their but they are just glad to not be renting to anymore single Chinese men. The previous tenants destroyed all the furniture and bounced because of illegal activity. My family was tottaly blessed by the amazing home we got in sangkat 4.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I'm sure your landlord, when you find out how to contact him, will be happy to have the rent paid via Wing. Wing is the way that Khmers transfer money. Very handy.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kyleincambo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:40 pm If you've got the EDC bill, you're expected to pay it, by the way - and count your blessings if you're getting it, it means the landlord is not ripping you off (on this, at least).
My rental agent is a stand up guy. I am paying 770kwh. Glad to know I'm not being played at all. No offense to all the quality Chinese people out their but they are just glad to not be renting to anymore single Chinese men. The previous tenants destroyed all the furniture and bounced because of illegal activity. My family was tottaly blessed by the amazing home we got in sangkat 4.
Great that you got a good one, and great that you know it. I had a previous landlord that was an absolute sweetheart (for a bloke) until we reckoned up as we were moving out, and then his mother-in-law kicked in and ripped us off. The poor guy was openly apologizing to us for it, and claiming that he just had to do what she said as her side of the family owned the businesses. She'd actually re-leased the house while we still had a month on it, and moved the new people in - when we looked for some dollars back, ot mien bong.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 pm
Great that you got a good one, and great that you know it. I had a previous landlord that was an absolute sweetheart (for a bloke) until we reckoned up as we were moving out, and then his mother-in-law kicked in and ripped us off. The poor guy was openly apologizing to us for it, and claiming that he just had to do what she said as her side of the family owned the businesses. She'd actually re-leased the house while we still had a month on it, and moved the new people in - when we looked for some dollars back, ot mien bong.
Sorry to hear that. I tend to think everybdy is out to get me here and than I realized this is not a good way to do life. I want to love and honor people as much as I can. Its tough though when their are legitimate scumbags who want what they can get from the white man. Glad to have the big man watching out though. Blessings brother, Im sure youve leaned a few things since that experience.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

kyleincambo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:08 pm
Sorry to hear that. I tend to think everybdy is out to get me here and than I realized this is not a good way to do life. I want to love and honor people as much as I can. Its tough though when their are legitimate scumbags who want what they can get from the white man. Glad to have the big man watching out though. Blessings brother, Im sure youve leaned a few things since that experience.
Yup, a whole lot of new learning since then! Blessings mate.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

kyleincambo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Not so easy when you have no contact information to the landlord, everything was done through rental agent. Their is a woman in my neighborhood who is a liaison but speaks zero English. I suppose the real question is why would the landlord just give me their account number. Isn't that a lot of information to give someone. Or does it work differently in Cambodia.
Your agent should have given you the landlords acct details if he was the one who told you to pay the rent into the landlords acct...useless agent by the sounds of it, but most real estate agents in Cambodia are nothing but amateur fixers, not like trained and certified real estate agents in the 'Western' world.

Why would giving you acct details be an issue? It's not like you can withdraw funds or commit any form of fraud from just an acct name and number. No different to Australia or NZ, not sure about where you're from?
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 pm
kyleincambo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:56 pm
Not so easy when you have no contact information to the landlord, everything was done through rental agent. Their is a woman in my neighborhood who is a liaison but speaks zero English. I suppose the real question is why would the landlord just give me their account number. Isn't that a lot of information to give someone. Or does it work differently in Cambodia.
Your agent should have given you the landlords acct details if he was the one who told you to pay the rent into the landlords acct...useless agent by the sounds of it, but most real estate agents in Cambodia are nothing but amateur fixers, not like trained and certified real estate agents in the 'Western' world.

Why would giving you acct details be an issue? It's not like you can withdraw funds or commit any form of fraud from just an acct name and number. No different to Australia or NZ, not sure about where you're from?

Im American. You can wreck someones life if you have their account number. Good to know it doesnt matter here makes more sense. I will make sure I get that acccount number, unless its already on the lease. Ill go back and read it for the 10th time.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Genuine question...how can you wreck someone's life by having their bank account name and number?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 pm Genuine question...how can you wreck someone's life by having their bank account name and number?
I wondered that, and then saw the poster was referring to "in 'Murica" ... simply put, you can't, but if you can pull someone's username and password (say, from creating a dodgy Facebook app that farms those details unnecessarily) - and they're almost certainly using the same u/p combination for Facebook as they are for their banking, then Robert's your relative.
kyleincambo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by kyleincambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 pm Genuine question...how can you wreck someone's life by having their bank account name and number?
I honestly dont know because I would never do that to someone. You just hear about that kind of stuff on the news all the time. Its drilled into you early on to protect your bank information at all costs. I suppose I am just paranoid. That's all, and Im sure their are some tech savy people that only need that little information to get some work done on your bank account.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic