Liquid electrical tape

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Liquid electrical tape

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Anyone know if some kind of liquid Tape is available here? Basically black goo that you dip wires in and then hardens to a rubbery compound overnight? I know electrical shrink wrap is available, but it won't work for this job.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Liquid electrical tape

Post by StroppyChops »

Where do you get electrical shrink wrap?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:47 pm Anyone know if some kind of liquid Tape is available here? Basically black goo that you dip wires in and then hardens to a rubbery compound overnight? I know electrical shrink wrap is available, but it won't work for this job.
Not sure what you are talking about unless it is the bitumen type that is poured into moulds to seal steel wired armour main power supply connections under UK roads. If it is, you can buy kits online.
Otherwise, if you are just looking for a watertight connection above ground, you could try 3M self- amalgamating tape. Available here from most good electrical shops for around $6 per roll.

I'll send you a couple if numbers I have.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I have used high-temp Silicon for that purpose
Shrink tubing is at a few electrical/lamp shops
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Thanks guys. I'll look into the 3m stuff as currently was using electrical tape. Shrink wrap is available at several places as mentioned, but quality isn't as good as what you can get in the West (needs more heat/doesn't shrink as much). Last night I was actually thinking about using silicone. It's flexible, can be peeled off if I fuck it up and doesn't let water in.
As for what it is, Google pictures. It's a tar-like goo which you can dip things into. It then turns into a rubbery solid overnight.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Do you know if it's available here? Didn't see it in any electrical stores.
Popeye
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Popeye »

No, sorry, do not know.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic