Half-marathon running in Phnom Penh (PHOTOS)

Title says it all really...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Half-marathon running in Phnom Penh (PHOTOS)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Last running of half marathon on Sunday
16 June 2017
The seventh running of the Phnom Penh International Half-Marathon will start in front of the Royal Palace early on Sunday morning with organisers reporting yesterday an expected 5,000 runners likely to take tackle the 21-kilometre course.

“By chance this year the half marathon falls on the Queen Mother's birthday. I hope the various ministries and organisations cooperate to promote this important sports tourism event,” said Vath Chamroeun, secretary general of National Olympic Committee of Cambodia.

“After completing this year’s run we are looking into turning this annual race into a full marathon,” he added.
The Cambodian capital does not currently hold a full 42-kilometre marathon although Siem Reap has been hosting the Angkor Empire Full & Half Marathon since 2013.
A 10 kilometre run and a 3 kilometre fun run for will also be run for those not yet ready to tackle the longer distances.
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39373/ ... on-sunday/

Expect to have some better photos in the press later. From Nokorwat News earlier today:

As usual, the money raised will go to Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Half-marathon running in Phnom Penh (PHOTOS)

Post by taabarang »

Viel Spass Hanno!
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

taabarang wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:19 pm Viel Spass Hanno!
I was signed up but didn't go, something went wrong with my ticker this week and that has put my running on hold:-(
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

hanno wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 pm
taabarang wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:19 pm Viel Spass Hanno!
I was signed up but didn't go, something went wrong with my ticker this week and that has put my running on hold:-(
If only you'd said earlier, I could have gone as you!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"...something went wrong with my ticker this week and that has put my running on hold:-(.

Sorry to hear that. Ich wuensche Ihnen gute Besserung.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Takizaki, Viro and Thoeun secure All-Cambodian marathon podium
19 June 2017
The seventh International Phnom Penh Half Marathon wrapped up yesterday morning with organisers announcing a turnout of 5352 professional and amateur runners from 33 countries tackling various lengths of the 21 kilometre route.

Japanese-born Cambodian long distance runner Kuniaki Takizaki, part of the kingdom’s six-strong Rio 2016 Olympic Games squad, snatched a second consecutive gold medal with a time of 1 hour, 16 minutes and 44 seconds. Famed Cambodian distance athlete Ma Viro came in second with a 1:21:37 finish. An all Cambodian podium was delivered after Kang Thoeun came in third with time of 1:22:57.

In the women’s main event, Frenchwoman Veronique Messina regained her title as fastest woman crossing the line with a time of 1:36:11 seconds a full eight minutes’ clear of closest challenger Nadia Heraschenko. In last year’s race Messina had been thwarted by Great Britain’s Jill Hamill who grabbed the top spot and relegating Messina to a rare silver medal. Messina has now captured first prize for a fourth time...
http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/39441/ ... on-podium/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cute!
:OD:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I went last year with a bunch of girlfriends (as in friends...). It was pretty nice but it got hot real quick. Couldn't make it this year as I was out of town l, but a bunch of them did the 10k this year. Takizaki won again I see. They're getting more and more participants every year.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Hiroshi leads local marathon clean sweep
19 June 2017
Rio Olympian Neko Hiroshi piloted a Cambodian clean sweep by repeating his success of last year in the men’s section of the 7th Phnom Penh International Half Marathon yesterday. French tutor Veronique Messina recorded her third win among the women in four years.

The popular charity run, which supports the Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospitals and other benevolent causes, commemorated the birthday of Queen Mother Norodom Monineath Sihanouk.

A surge of entries over the last few days boosted the participation numbers well past the 5,000 mark, including a record 523 overseas entries from 33 countries.

The numbers were considerably bolstered by an increase in local runners patronising the 10km and 3km fun runs.

“The entries far exceeded our expectations. We were delighted to see so many institutions and groups taking part in big numbers. We hope this trend continues,’’ secretary-general of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia Vath Chamroeun, who is also the Secretary of State in the Ministry of Tourism, told The Post yesterday.

“We will now invite suggestions and opinions of foreign and local runners regarding our plan to upgrade the event to a full marathon next year.

“The great significance of the fields growing bigger in the 10km and 3km races is that more and more locals are getting involved which is a healthy sign of good long distance runners coming to the fore,” Chamroeun noted.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/sport/hiro ... lean-sweep

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic