A Khmer expression

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A Khmer expression

Post by taabarang »

OK, euphemism you want, euphemism you'll get. The politest of all is " Som sngat" I.e.
please be quiet. Even Jamie's kinder gentler one expresses a small amount of frustration at a noisy situation.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

But, surely you wouldn't precede 'sngat' with 'som'.

Sngat !!! (noisy little brats)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 am Just to be clear: but moite is a bit rude. Other examples by Jamie are better IMO, so is "Kum moite" (no mouth). A polite way of saying be quiet/wait.
close,
កុំមាត់ - "Kom Moat" would translate to "Do not talk (loudly), utter, speak (noisily); call out"
Kom = Do Not/Don't
I was just giving a transliteration so people understand my romanization. Don't speak basically, but it sounds bad in English. I gave the proper translation as well (as per the request).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Sngat !!! (noisy little brats)". I think you have the wrong word. Look up the English word quiet in your bilingual dictionary. Let me know if I am in error.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Yeah, I figured it was a bit of euphemism since it's employees listening to stroppy telling his wife to shut up. They might think he's a huge dick if they learned the direct translation! Still, I say shut up as well, so it's not always as strong as it sounds on paper.

I agree it's impolite for most people, but I don't think it carries as much weight as in Khmer. I do often say "but moite" in a joking manner, but Khmers do find it a bit offensive. Saying Kum Moite is a better way of saying "don't speak/be quiet". Still, he should probably give them the real translation as well, but explain that he's using it with a loved one/it's not as strong.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pm "Sngat !!! (noisy little brats)". I think you have the wrong word. Look up the English word quiet in your bilingual dictionary. Let me know if I am in error.
Same word.

Quiet !!!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pmYeah, I figured it was a bit of euphemism since it's employees listening to stroppy telling his wife to shut up. They might think he's a huge dick if they learned the direct translation! Still, I say shut up as well, so it's not always as strong as it sounds on paper.
Parrot, BKL, I was telling the parrot to shut up. Mrs Stroppy would beat me with a stick if I told her to shut up.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

UT, I' be never heard that in Khmer in the 15 years I've been living with 2 noisy children, except in the context of quiet. Are you funning me and punning on snot?

If not can you copy out the Khmer so my equally unbelieving wife can read it. Thanks.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Translation courtesy of Google Translate:

Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

StroppyChops wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:31 pmYeah, I figured it was a bit of euphemism since it's employees listening to stroppy telling his wife to shut up. They might think he's a huge dick if they learned the direct translation! Still, I say shut up as well, so it's not always as strong as it sounds on paper.
Parrot, BKL, I was telling the parrot to shut up. Mrs Stroppy would beat me with a stick if I told her to shut up.
Oooh! Hahaha, OK well that explains it! Never mind what I've said then, go ahead and say but moite, lol. Might as well throw in a "why ayleu!" while you're at it ;-)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic