Health Insurance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Health Insurance

Post by Username Taken »

^^^ Have you not considered similar things happening to you in Thailand?
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 pm I have World Nomads for about AUD700/year, but I understand they don't insure "travellers" for more than two years, so I will try another (1cover maybe) when this one expires next year.

I did enquire about expat insurance and was quoted USD1500/year which is roughly three times the price of World Nomads.
1Cover requires you to take out your policy before leaving Australia, is limited to one-year intervals, and requires a return date to Australia. If you contact them directly just before your policy expires they'll extend by a year. I found them pretty easy to deal with.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:07 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:33 pm I have World Nomads for about AUD700/year, but I understand they don't insure "travellers" for more than two years, so I will try another (1cover maybe) when this one expires next year.

I did enquire about expat insurance and was quoted USD1500/year which is roughly three times the price of World Nomads.
1Cover requires you to take out your policy before leaving Australia, is limited to one-year intervals, and requires a return date to Australia. If you contact them directly just before your policy expires they'll extend by a year. I found them pretty easy to deal with.
Hmm, it's unlikely I'll return to Australia next year, maybe I will just just try and buy a third Nomads one then. Last month when mine ran out, I found out I couldn't extend it because the max is one year, but the chick I spoke with said to just buy another policy (with a 72 hour stand down period for being out of AU).

I don't know why expat insurance is so much more expensive than regular travel insurance. It's not like expats cram thrill seeking experiences into every day (skydiving, mountain climbing, bungy jumping, canyoning etc) like backpackers do. Except maybe beekeeping lol.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

Ronny wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:55 pm What I'm worried about is getting in a traffic accident and getting seriously injured and having to pay a huge amount of $$$ that I might not have. Don't any of you guys worry about something like that happening? I'm 49 years old and relatively healthy as far as I know, lol.
You need air evac for head injuries etc. That's going to come in at around $270 upwards per month. Otherwise, Forte insurance is an affordable local choice, but without the evac.Their office is on Mao Tse Tong, next to the Mondrial center.
People have stated they have mainly been ok when making a claim. Well, three people replied on another thread that they had claimed on Forte.
If you intend to come and go every year then World Nomad is about the cheapest.

One thing to note that has been mentioned on these fora, is that there is a hgh chance Royal Hospital will try and hang onto you even if they haven't got the equipment or expertise to save your life, just to make money. You had just better hope that a friend finds out somehow soon, so that they can arrange the evac. Or that you can phone someone to help, which is highly unlikely in the case of head injury requiring life saving evac.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Have an exit strategy;

My GF and daughter both have copies of my living will and know i do not wish to be placed in a hospital nor on life support nor to resuscitate me if i go out or spend crazy$$ to chase a few years.
i am fortunate as am not broke nor living month to month

True sad story;

2 weeks ago a long time friend of mine, living in "his" house, he built for his ex on his ex's land up country, had a stroke an than a heart attack. His "new" live in gf than grabbed the jewelry and stared in on his atm, Left him unconscious for a full day before she called the police who took him to the hospital. As he was unconscious nothing they could do without a relatives permission so only put him on a drip and did a cat scan. Mother of his ex's, living on the nearby land contacted his ex wife (they never legally married) who was living in Oz with his stepdaughter. His step daughter flew up an got info from the dr. DR> said he had a chance if he had an operation but they couldn't do it there but only in Bangkok BUT the dr said the move might kill him, as she was not legally his daughter they couldn't do anything, she had to fly back to Oz so he was alone, unconscious in the hospital We contacted his brother an daughter living in the states and after 10 days his brother finally flew over. He never regained consciousness and died the next day .

His brother wanted to sell the house and truck BUT the house was in his ex's name and he never even bothered getting a lease form her and the truck was in her brothers name so technically he owned nothing.

Shit happens

Boy Scout moto "BE PREPARED"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Post by juansweetpotato »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:12 am Have an exit strategy;

My GF and daughter both have copies of my living will and know i do not wish to be placed in a hospital nor on life support nor to resuscitate me if i go out or spend crazy$$ to chase a few years.
i am fortunate as am not broke nor living month to month

True sad story;

2 weeks ago a long time friend of mine, living in "his" house, he built for his ex on his ex's land up country, had a stroke an than a heart attack. His "new" live in gf than grabbed the jewelry and stared in on his atm, Left him unconscious for a full day before she called the police who took him to the hospital. As he was unconscious nothing they could do without a relatives permission so only put him on a drip and did a cat scan. Mother of his ex's, living on the nearby land contacted his ex wife (they never legally married) who was living in Oz with his stepdaughter. His step daughter flew up an got info from the dr. DR> said he had a chance if he had an operation but they couldn't do it there but only in Bangkok BUT the dr said the move might kill him, as she was not legally his daughter they couldn't do anything, she had to fly back to Oz so he was alone, unconscious in the hospital We contacted his brother an daughter living in the states and after 10 days his brother finally flew over. He never regained consciousness and died the next day .

His brother wanted to sell the house and truck BUT the house was in his ex's name and he never even bothered getting a lease form her and the truck was in her brothers name so technically he owned nothing.

Shit happens

Boy Scout moto "BE PREPARED"
I liked the bit about leaving him unconscious for a day on the floor while she cleaned his account out.
Reminds me of a few stories I've heard over the years. Of course, nobody every believes you...
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

phuketrichard wrote:35 years living or traveling in se asia, never had health or travel insurance
There's always GoFundMe;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:34 am
phuketrichard wrote:35 years living or traveling in se asia, never had health or travel insurance
There's always GoFundMe;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Works sometimes; How many of u all know Joe ( american photographer living in PP)
he got cancer and his go fundme page and benefits helped him with his cancer treatment payments recently.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Taabarang, you said you have an exit plan? Good G*d I hope you don't mean you're going to off yourself! "

Well yes, that's exactly what I mean-when I feel the time has come. I'm reasonably old now, did most of what I wanted to do and fear or greed are lame excuses for wanting more time. As to how most likely a chemical exit. I'm researching now. I don't want to leave a mess and on the other hand I don't want to hang on as a brain dead mess. It requires a bit of thought and research.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What's your exit plan Richard?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic