Buying Electrronics

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Luigi
Expatriate

Buying Electrronics

Post by Luigi »

Where in Phnom Penh would have best buys on electronics, cameras, techie stuff? :beer3:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Buying Electrronics

Post by StroppyChops »

Do you want good quality, or good price? Because you ain't getting both...
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 pm Do you want good quality, or good price? Because you ain't getting both...
Name brand goods. Canon, Garmin, Novatek etc. A place with competitivr pricing & large selection.
Like a Bestbuy store only the Cambo version.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Best to go with brand specific stores, i.e. if you like Canon, go with a Canon retailer (there's one on Mao Tse Tung near Depo market) etc. I found the "have it all" stores to be generally clueless and offer no after purchase support if something goes wrong. I have a small pile of Panasonic appliances that are awaiting parts to be shipped in for warranty repairs from the Akira/Panasonic store near Lucky Supermarket, and it seems like I'll have to fix them myself in the end anyway.

Anyway, the Canon store seemed to have relatively good prices last I checked, but that was a couple years ago.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Luigi wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:08 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:51 pm Do you want good quality, or good price? Because you ain't getting both...
Name brand goods. Canon, Garmin, Novatek etc. A place with competitivr pricing & large selection.
Nothing similar to your experience of Bestbuy - Aeon Mall is probably your best bet if that's what you're looking for, but you're going to bleed money. Follow AE86's advice for Canon, otherwise don't have high expectations. If you want to buy TVs and related, there's a particular area for that. If you're after home appliances like irons, kettles, etc. there's an area for that. If you want small radios, speakers, iPhone accessories, that type of electronics, there's a different place for that. Khmer supposedly tend to group their shops for very specific products together in the belief that such "clustering" attracts good luck. That's why you'll see six shops in a row selling identical products at identical prices.

Alternatively, consider a quick flight to Bangkok, you'll probably save the fare in hassles and disappointment.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:20 pm
Luigi wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:08 pm
Nothing similar to your experience of Bestbuy - Aeon Mall is probably your best bet if that's what you're looking for, but you're going to bleed money. Follow AE86's advice for Canon, otherwise don't have high expectations. If you want to buy TVs and related, there's a particular area for that. If you're after home appliances like irons, kettles, etc. there's an area for that. If you want small radios, speakers, iPhone accessories, that type of electronics, there's a different place for that. Khmer supposedly tend to group their shops for very specific products together in the belief that such "clustering" attracts good luck. That's why you'll see six shops in a row selling identical products at identical prices.

Alternatively, consider a quick flight to Bangkok, you'll probably save the fare in hassles and disappointment.
Always wondered why they grouped their stores like that. Seems counterproductive to me but what do I know.

Have been to the Canon Store. Nice & fairly knowledgeable staff.

Bangkok is prolly best idea.
Thanks all. :beer3:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Bangkok or eBay.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic