Advice for a Cambodian going to South Africa?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
juansweetpotato
Expatriate

Advice for a Cambodian going to South Africa?

Post by juansweetpotato »

Someone asked me this question tonight. He said his Cambodian business friend is off for the first time to South Africa for a week's business. Sorry , I don't know which city.
All I could think of telling him was to be very aware day or night while driving because of the car jackings at gun point.
Does any other poster have any good advice to give? Apparently he isn't off for a few days, so there is still time to pass on your good advices.
He has travelled only to Vietnam. Thailand, and Singapore so far he said.
Last edited by juansweetpotato on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Can you spare some cutter for an old man?"
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Advice for a Cambodian going to South Africa

Post by StroppyChops »

juansweetpotato wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 pm Someone asked me this question tonight. He said his Cambodian business friend is off for the first time to South Africa for a week's business. Sorry , I don't know which city.
All I could think of telling him was to be very aware day or night while driving because of the car jackings at gun point.
Does any other poster have any good advice to give? Apparently he isn't off for a few days, so there is still time to pass on your good advices.
He has travelled only to Vietnam. Thailand, and Singapore so far he said.
Vlad's a saffer, he's probably the best to talk to.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Luigi
Expatriate

Re: Advice for a Cambodian going to South Africa?

Post by Luigi »

Egads mate. S. Africa is a huuge bigly country. Would swallow all of UK, Land of Ire & parts of 3-4 other countries and the seas between.
Let's see if we can narrow down the car-jack scenario.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Well, I have driven over large parts of Safferland, never got jacked. Obviously, you wouldn't want to drive into the townships. Police is everywhere and I felt a lot safer in Cape Town than in Phnom Penh.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Every young white South African I've met here have made out south Africa as worse than Faluja. Must soften their conscience from their fairly deplorable comments about the 'bleks'.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I've just come back from South Africa - tell him to get the Uber app, its brilliant over there and much cheaper than taxis.

Is Vlad from South Africa or Zimbabwe? I always thought it was Zim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

epidemiks wrote:Every young white South African I've met here have made out south Africa as worse than Faluja. Must soften their conscience from their fairly deplorable comments about the 'bleks'.
The security situation is really bad :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:43 pmIs Vlad from South Africa or Zimbabwe? I always thought it was Zim.
You might well be right - they all look the same to me.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

He is from Zim.

I have traveled large parts of Safferland and it was funny how all the whites would talk about the bad security situation, safely installed in their heavily guarded compounds. Again, I never felt threatened and it sure is safer than Kenya.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic