PM calls for preservation of Cambodia's historic buildings

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: PM calls for preservation of Cambodia's historic buildings

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm
Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:25 am What's the story with this one besides the Post Office

It was the Central Police Station in the protectorate, built in 1892. It's not the original building that is in this 1910 photo though, it was remodeled in the 1920s. Apparently both that and the demolished building you posted above are owned by Royal Group:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/time ... chitecture

Are you sure the Royal Group own it.
When it was demolished The lady told the Daily
Spoiler:
I think I have the report somewhere
that she was going to rebuild it to the original plan. Then later , after it was pulled down , she said that she had run out of money so would just rent the land.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 am Here's a better photo.
It featured in the movie "The Killing Fields" didn't it?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:39 pm
Are you sure the Royal Group own it.
I'm not sure, someone told me the old lady was a relation of their CEO.

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:00 pm It featured in the movie "The Killing Fields" didn't it?
I don't think any of the Killing Fields was shot in Kampuchea, it was pretty much closed to off to most foreigners at the time. The film was mainly shot in Thailand, in Phuket, Hua Hin and Bangkok.
The building was in City of Ghosts, it was where Matt Dillon's character had his hotel room.
Last edited by John Bingham on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:00 pm
Duncan wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 am Here's a better photo.
It featured in the movie "The Killing Fields" didn't it?
Dude in the foreground with the yellow mask wants your iPhone now.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:05 pm I don't think any of the Killing Fields was shot in Kampuchea, it was pretty much closed to off to most foreigners at the time. It was in City of Ghosts, it was where Matt Dillon's character had his hotel room.
Duh, wrong film! Cheers.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:07 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:05 pm I don't think any of the Killing Fields was shot in Kampuchea, it was pretty much closed to off to most foreigners at the time. It was in City of Ghosts, it was where Matt Dillon's character had his hotel room.
Duh, wrong film! Cheers.
No, Cheers was a TV series that ran for around 10 years in the 1980s and early '90s.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Police station belongs to Kith Meng, but you know what I really mean.There was talk of turning it into a boutique hotel but is fucked, the cost would be prohibitive.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:The white building isn't old or historic by any means. Especially in its current state. Molyvann just yesterday said he supported the CNRP because of the lack of urban planning by the current powers. I noticed the new hotel going up on 178 is keeping the old building intact and will be showcasing it instead. Of course, it's a foreign company so that explains why they'd want to preserve it.
Ok.....not old.......
Please define old and also historic.
I guess I'm young and have no history, or is it different coz I'm not a building?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Does Cambodia have a historical preservation society or anything near that? Other than temples? Funding?
Yes I have been drinking erarly today.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

2022: Battambang and the architectural preservation of the old town; authorities are submitting a bid to be included in the UNESCO cultural heritage list and have forbidden billboards and advertising in the heritage area of the city.

Historic Battambang town bans billboards
Voun Dara | Publication date 27 July 2022 | 20:18 ICT
The Battambang town administration informed all house and business owners in Svay Por commune to remove all billboards by August 1 as it is preparing to submit the town to UNESCO for inclusion on its historical cultural heritage list.

Its July 25 notice said all signage was to be removed to strengthen public safety and order, as well as to improve the appearance of the town. The decision was related to a July 13 meeting, held to discuss preserving the beauty of the heritage neighbourhoods of the town.

The notice was addressed to building owners along street numbers 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3 – and their cross streets – between Wat Pipithearam and Wat Damrei Sor in the commune. They were ordered to remove all signage that did not meet the administration’s guidelines.

“If a home or business owner does not comply, the administration will dismantle the signage, and accept no responsibility for damage to the property. Fines may also be levied,” it said.

“The administration has issued this instruction to prepare the area for inclusion in the historical cultural heritage list of UNESCO,” he said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... billboards
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic