What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Re: What do you pay for coffee and where to go?

Post by Joker Poker »

JBTrain wrote: The Shop used to, which is how I knew to look for the beans, not sure if they still do. I'm guessing the Three Corner Roasters coffees are being used as fresh roasted beans are available and it's politically correct to use the local Cambodian product.
Excellent, thanks for that, I'll put that on my 'to try' list. Got me intrigued now.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

a bit more elevation is needed for great coffee than what exists in Cambodia.
the plant needs to struggle a bit to develop a good hard bean.
it certainly grows very well at lower elevations, but tends to be a little chalky and bland.
it is going to be robusta undoubtedly, which is potent in terms of caffeine, but bitter and overpowering taste, without nuance or complexity.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Spotted the Paris coffee shop this morning, part of Paragon hotel along the river.

Knew it was risky but asked for a flat white. Not have, have cappuccino, same same.

'No, it is not the same', said I. Tried their cap - don't bother.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

frank lee bent wrote:a bit more elevation is needed for great coffee than what exists in Cambodia.
the plant needs to struggle a bit to develop a good hard bean.
it certainly grows very well at lower elevations, but tends to be a little chalky and bland.
it is going to be robusta undoubtedly, which is potent in terms of caffeine, but bitter and overpowering taste, without nuance or complexity.
Lao for Arabica

http://www.fao.org/docrep/008/ae939e/ae939e03.htm
Using Tapatalk
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

I was always a coffee junkie and was more than willing to pay big money back in the States. I used to make my own blends as well. I even bought and was gifted Jamaican Blue Mtn a few times. For some reason though, I find the cheap-assed Cambodian Robusta that I pay $2.20/500kg quite satisfying. All my coffee snob friends in Thailand do too. Along with wine, I'm always tasked with bringing them 5 kilos. I would never give a thought to purchasing Robusta beans before. The civet-pooped stuff is interesting, but too sweet for my liking. In VN they have a chemical process to simulate the actions of the digestive system. It's way cheaper & 'cruelty free' (if you give a shit about the condition which the Civet's shit), but not as complex. I'll look for the Lao stuff.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Great link JBT, thanks for posting.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

fresh roasted robusta trumps months old arabica!

only kind of coffee i put milk in!

there is an informal Italian convention to use a red label for robusta- and a blue label for arabica.
JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

frank lee bent wrote:fresh roasted robusta trumps months old arabica!

only kind of coffee i put milk in!

there is an informal Italian convention to use a red label for robusta- and a blue label for arabica.
Yes, and the Three Corner Mondulkiri robusta is fresh daily and not bad at all.
Using Tapatalk
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

good info- thanks
nightmare.believer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by nightmare.believer »

Joker Poker wrote:The cafe that I've been a regular at for more than 5 years decided to put their coffee prices up 27% this week, taking my regular brew from 2.75 to 3.50. Nice low season price gouge.

I won't mention the name of the business lest I be criticised for trying to damage it. The owner does far more damage on his own without trying than I ever could...

I must have been there hundreds of times, often having breakfast or lunch there too, whilst doing my best to ignore the Basil Fawlty like tirades that so often punctuated the time there.

So I'm now trying to find a replacement.

Wondering what places people would recommend that have decent espresso coffees and well priced food?
You pay $2.75 for a coffee in Cambodia? Well....SOMEONE sure is fancy! I pay $7 a kilo of local Arabica.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic