Wild Elephants Kill Villager in Mondolkiri Protected Area

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 12, 2017
A farmer foraging for mushrooms was killed by wild elephants in a protected area of Mondolkiri province, officials said yesterday, an act conservationists said was rare but could become more frequent as people and the animals share an increasing amount of space.

Sreth Th’yal, 49, was walking through the forest on Thursday in O’Reang district’s Sen Monorom commune, part of Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary, with his neighbor and a few dogs when they came upon a group of two adult female and three young elephants, which were startled by the dogs’ barks, multiple officials said.

“The elephant tried to protect her baby from the barking dogs, then chased the dogs and trampled one victim to death who had tripped over a tree branch” as he ran, district governor Norng Tunnary said of one of the female elephants.

The neighbor, who was able to escape, alerted other villagers, but when they arrived at the scene of the incident, Sreth Th’yal was dead and the elephants were gone, Mr. Tunnary said...
https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/wild ... ea-131247/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wild Elephants Kill Villager in Mondolkiri Protected Area

- A Phnong man was crushed to death by a stampeding herd of wild elephants in Mondulkiri province on Friday, police confirmed yesterday.
O’Raing District Police Chief Buo Bunchheat said the victim, Srot Chol, 49, was killed in the Chong Rang area about 10 kilometres from his home village of Pou Hyeam, in Sen Monorom commune.

Friday’s attack is the third case of a person being killed by an elephant in Mondulkiri since September last year, although in Bunchheat’s tenure this is the first death he has seen caused by wild elephants.

Keo Sopheak, director of the Mondulkiri environment department, said when wild elephants came into conflict with humans, it was largely due to their habitats being destroyed, leaving them to wander.
“Sometimes, they raided villages and destroyed the villagers’ crops, and sometimes they attacked the villagers.”
He said his team is trying to educate communities how to care for domestic elephants and protect themselves against wild ones.
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/m ... -elephants
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm...an act conservationists said was rare but could become more frequent as people and the animals share an increasing amount of space.
I come from dairy farming stock, and believed for most of my life in people's needs before animals - but that changed pretty dramatically as I got older, travelled, and saw the damage being done to the planet, especially flying over the small island chains in SEA that have been totally denuded to make way for more rubber and sugar palms.

However, I can't help but :roll: at conservations who are arguing in the statement above that elephant deaths are rare (i.e. so rare that a single even will make international news, given the rarity of it) and yet take the reverse stance to argue their own agenda - "could become more frequent." They have been arguing this for decades, and yet these deaths are still a rarity.

To be clear, I strongly believe in the conservation of tracts of lands as animal arks, I'm simply (and only) :roll:ing my eyes at their desperate attention whoring.

Oh, and I thought that African elephant falling on the hunter that shot it to be hilarious.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Wild elephants destroy farms in Mondulkiri province
2 May 2018
Ten wild elephants from the Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary in Mondulkiri province’s Sen Monorom commune destroyed villagers’ farmlands, while another 15 families were reported to have their fruit trees smashed by them on Sunday night.

Khum Vannak, a police officer in O’Raing district, said the elephants were mostly out of the forest at night and were hard to control.

“The elephants come out at night and return home in the morning. They destroyed the banana trees and cashew trees of 15 families,” he said. “They are wild elephants who live in their own shelter in the forest.”

“We have reported it to environmental officers and relevant forces to chase them away because the elephants could be dangerous,” he added.

Sen Monorom commune police chief Sou Sunheng said the elephants destroy anything along their aimless journey.

“It is possible there are more than ten elephants,” he said. “They keep moving from place to place. Environmental workers seem not to care about these elephants in the Keo Seima Wildlife Sanctuary and only advised people to frighten them away with firecrackers.”

“If we shoot them, we are wrong,” he added. “We don’t know how much exactly the damage is because these elephants will trample everything they come across. If they see banana trees, they will eat them all.”
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50485613/w ... -province/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 pmTo be clear, I strongly believe in the conservation of tracts of lands as animal arks, I'm simply (and only) :roll:ing my eyes at their desperate attention whoring.
Noah shit, Sherlock.

Does it apply to foxes as well?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

MONDULKIRI - Two wild elephants were photographed yesterday morning, 12 May 2018 at 10:15, while quietly breakfasting on local village crops near Andoung Krolen village, Sèn Monorom commune. The elephants appeared completely unafraid of human beings who tried to scare them off.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Fireworks.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

that genius wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:15 pm Fireworks.
:plus1: Or giant scarecrow mice ?
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I read just recently where ( ? ) some villagers are keeping bee hives to chase away elephants. Nothing worse than a hive of angry bees buzzing around the eyes to make something want to piss off back into the bush.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Those are probably the last two wild elephants in the entire country. Frankly amazed that there are any left.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic