Garage Bar In Phnom Penh, Cambodia FOR SALE AGAIN for $15,000

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Brewer
Expatriate

Re: Garage Bar In Phnom Penh, Cambodia FOR SALE AGAIN for $15,000

Post by Brewer »

boozyoldman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:07 pm Yes. Party House on Sok San.

It is shuttered and sad to behold now - it used to be very lively.
It had two incarnations that I know of. The original owner, an Australian, who ran it for about a year or so and a second owner from maybe Germany or Italy. It may have had other owners as well but I don't know about that.

When it first opened and for many months afterwards, it was often very busy and open very late. They also did very good food and a good time was pretty much guaranteed. You'd get good food, good company and a good atmosphere but it started to go into some kind of decline for some reason. I don't know if the novelty of the new bar wore off or what, but there was a dip in the levels of clientele and that becomes something of a downward spiral for a bar.

Dwindling customer numbers changed the dynamic of the place and people either went somewhere else entirely looking for the atmosphere or spent less time there before moving on. The original owner wanted out because it was becoming a burden, I think, and eventually sold to some European, as I said above. From what I understand the new guy then spent what was probably quite a lot of money on the place by significantly re-working it but I was out of town by then so never was able to sample the place personally.

Shame it's closed, next time back in SR I would have like to stop by there.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Brewer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:14 am

It had two incarnations that I know of.

The original owner, an Australian, who ran it for about a year or so and a second owner from maybe Germany or Italy. It may have had other owners as well but I don't know about that.

When it first opened and for many months afterwards, it was often very busy and open very late. They also did very good food and a good time was pretty much guaranteed. You'd get good food, good company and a good atmosphere but it started to go into some kind of decline for some reason. I don't know if the novelty of the new bar wore off or what, but there was a dip in the levels of clientele and that becomes something of a downward spiral for a bar.

Dwindling customer numbers changed the dynamic of the place and people either went somewhere else entirely looking for the atmosphere or spent less time there before moving on. The original owner wanted out because it was becoming a burden, I think, and eventually sold to some European, as I said above. From what I understand the new guy then spent what was probably quite a lot of money on the place by significantly re-working it but I was out of town by then so never was able to sample the place personally.

If you do a search on the ''other forum'' you will find the first owner was Ian, an Australian and sold it to Jeff , [ and Brunt ] an American .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Brewer
Expatriate

Post by Brewer »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 am

The original owner, an Australian, who ran it for about a year or so and a second owner from maybe Germany or Italy. It may have had other owners as well but I don't know about that.

If you do a search on the ''other forum'' you will find the first owner was Ian, an Australian and sold it to Jeff , [ and Brunt ] an American .
I presume you are talking about Garage? We were talking about the Party House in Siem Reap.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Brewer wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:35 am
Duncan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 am

I presume you are talking about Garage? We were talking about the Party House in Siem Reap.

Sorry, caffeine in my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 amIf you do a search on the ''other forum'' you will find the first owner was Ian, an Australian and sold it to Jeff , [ and Brunt ] an American .
Duncan, are you in contact with Brunt?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

Hobby bars usually need to be run by someone with friends to inhabit the bar.
Otherwise, as seen all across southeast Asia, you have a bars with owner with some staff hanging out all day and night with no customers on every average day and occassionally some random customers come in but there is no solid customer base.
Actually 15 k for that location and bar is not bad depending on what the rent is.
The right owner could make it work.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

In many cases it seems the only qualification you need to open a bar here is that you know how to drink beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:59 pm In many cases it seems the only qualification you need to open a bar here is that you know how to drink beer.
...and that is precisely why so many of these bars fail.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:59 pm In many cases it seems the only qualification you need to open a bar here is that you know how to drink beer.

I thought that having the ability to find good looking girls and giving them a job would qualify someone to open a '' girly bar ''
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I thought the number one qualification is to have lots of cashed up friends that love ur company

.....and plenty of eye candy on hand :stir: :stir: :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic