Southeast Asia meat preparation

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
jayblues
Expatriate

Southeast Asia meat preparation

Post by jayblues »

I've found in Thailand, Cambodia, and Philippines that there is often a washing the meat or poultry (with tapwater) step to their preparations.my
When I cook my own meals I do not wash the meat, after google researching this it seems an unnecessary step that could possibly contaminate the meat with whatever is in the tapwater.
Just curious as to why people insist on washing the meats and poultry before cooking.
It's proven to be unnecessary and cleaning the meat or poultry with tapwater could actually put some harmful stuff into the food.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Southeast Asia meat preparation

Post by frank lee bent »

maybe to try and remove the borax and formaldehyde
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

I didn't think about that.
Organic meats are generally unheard of in southeast Asia so it would be interesting to find out what all is unnaturally in the meats.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

jayblues wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:25 pm I didn't think about that.
Organic meats are generally unheard of in southeast Asia so it would be interesting to find out what all is unnaturally in the meats.
Take a look at what those cows on the side of the road eat,,, and I think the unnatural bit would be plastic bags.?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

jayblues wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:12 pm I've found in Thailand, Cambodia, and Philippines that there is often a washing the meat or poultry (with tapwater) step to their preparations.my
When I cook my own meals I do not wash the meat, after google researching this it seems an unnecessary step that could possibly contaminate the meat with whatever is in the tapwater.
Just curious as to why people insist on washing the meats and poultry before cooking.
It's proven to be unnecessary and cleaning the meat or poultry with tapwater could actually put some harmful stuff into the food.
It might be unnecessary in the western world. Meat in local markets is covered with dust, as well as dirty hands fondling it during the day. I would wash it. The tap water here is very clean.
jayblues
Expatriate

Post by jayblues »

I was thinking more along the lines of what we buy in supermarkets. Not the public markets or vendors.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As UT said, locals rinse the meat in water to clean off all the dust and fly shit, etc, same with fruit and vegies, even I do it with produce purchased from the markets (usually wash with water/vinegar mix).

If they're washing produce purchased from a super market, it's because it's a force of habit.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I never buy ground, chopped or shredded meat because any contamination will be spread throughout by the grinding, chopping or shredding process. I figure with roasts or whole chicken/breasts, washing can't hurt because whatever is in the water is probably less virulent than the bacteria on the surface of the meat... plus it gets rid of the dirt & fly shit. Cooking will kill anything left on the surface.
You could be next.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

yeah you have to buy mince meat from someone you can trust like smokey dah boar or Dan's meat, or grind it yourself at home.
problem is for burger meat- you cannot get local beef fat LOL - there is none.. you can buy imported beef fat from LSH. their mince sucks, full of gristle. I would be buying their India beef ( buffalo ) ribeye at $7.50/kg and grinding it my self with 30% beef fat though some smokey bacon from smokey dah boar works well too for burgers. hard to beat smokey for mince and british bangers.

I have an acquaintance who looks after a protected forest in the north near steung treng.
there is an endangered vulture up there, so they give them a cow every 10 days or so.
he said after the first 6 months they noticed a lot of plastic bags on the site.
they came from inside the cows.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i always wash my meat before cooking at home
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic