A Silly Question, but...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

Re: A Silly Question, but...

Post by Ronny »

And Phuket, as you well know, if we are married in Thailand, we must show that we have at least 400,ooo Baht in our account. As per how much money I will need to show them if I have a son, I still do not know this.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:50 pm Phuket, I already have the O Visa but I'm afraid that I will not be able to explain to Immigration that I'm getting a divorce and I want to know the name of the visa that I can get if I have a son here although I'm getting a divorce. That is all.

Can u read english" """"

1 year dependent Extension NOT visa, U need have a Non Immigrant O visa to get the extension;
most immigration want see 400,000 in the bank, Phuket wanted 5000,000
:beer3:

you just change from Marriage EXTENSION to a DEPENDENT extension.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
monomial
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by monomial »

Ronny wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:53 pm And Phuket, as you well know, if we are married in Thailand, we must show that we have at least 400,ooo Baht in our account. As per how much money I will need to show them if I have a son, I still do not know this.
It is very important you ask these questions specifically at the immigration department where you will be staying in Thailand.

In Pathumthani, you will be required to show 800,000 baht for 3 months in an account. All extensions require 800,000 baht, however in the case of marriage the wife is legally expected to contribute half, which reduces the required amount to 400,000. In all other cases it is 800. Apparently, a few years back in Phuket this was not the case, so I highly recommend you ask at the office where you will be applying for the extension. There have been recent movements to standardize things across the country, so it is in your best interest to ask at the source.

You will also be required to show pictures of the house where your dependent will be staying, including his bedroom and your bedroom. The first time you apply for an extension they will likely also do an interview with you at home. They may ask to speak to neighbors. They may want to know about custody arrangements and where the child is going to school. Shared custody is not a reason for denying an extension of stay, but if your wife has sole custody and the child never stays with you then that may be a basis for a denial. The visa extension is for support of a dependent. You have to show you are providing support for that dependent.

It is also important you are able to legally show you are the legal father. That means you are on the birth certificate, you married the mother, and that the mother was not married to someone else for 10 months prior to the birth and up and until you married her. If any of these are not true you will need to legalize the child first and obtain a Kor Ror 11 before proceeding.

You will also need to supply the divorce certificate if you married the mother. If you are still legally married to the mother then you will not be allowed to apply only on the basis of a dependent. It will have to be a marriage extension. Everyone in the family must be included on the application.

It is not a difficult extension to get, but you do need to have your documents ready and up to date. If you understand what they are looking for then you should be able to prepare and nothing should come as a shock.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Mono and Phuket. I guess I'm screwed because my son will be living with my wife so I guess the "Dependent Visa" thing is out the window. I guess I'll go to Cambodia for about a year and check it out and next March when I turn 50 I can come back to Thailand and get the "Retirement Visa" if I want to. Again, thanks, guys.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Ronny wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:46 pm Yes, PSD. My wife comes from a wealthy Chinese family and we married in the US and we've been married for 17 years and have a 16 year old son. We will end our marriage amicably and what sinks my heart is that I still love her so much but our paths in life are different now. A bar girl she isn't, to say the least.
Most of us here are very quick to express condolences when a member or friend loses a loved one - Ronny, I'm sorry for the loss of your relationship. It's always hard, regardless of the circumstances.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Monon ur 100% WRONG to obtain a extension based on marriage or as a dependent is 400,000 in the bank;
i know many many farangs here and thats what they show

Must meet the financial requirement

Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner embassy has to be shown to verify this income
http://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-visa ... e-Visa.php
.....however in the case of marriage the wife is legally expected to contribute half,
:please: LOL
how many thai ladies do u know that are married to farangs and make 400,000 baht???

a few years back in Phuket this was not the case,
Oh really?? i've been here 32 years never known it to be different Except if u had a retirement extension previous to 1996 u only need show 250,000 in the bank and ur grandfathered in unto u leave

for a retirement extension its 800,000 a pension or outside income of 65,000/month or combination of the two

There is nothing being done or even talked about to make it all 800,000 or 400,000 or.....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Thanks, Stroppy. People that aren't going through what I am (many of them, anyway) have no idea what it is like to have to separate from someone they love so much whatever the circumstance. It's so painful as if my heart has been ripped from my body. You are a compassionate man with a golden heart. I wish there were more people like you in this world. When I go to Cambodia, maybe we can meet each other. Thank you so much.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Phuket, I'm confused. But whatever. I guess I'll find out next month. But one thing is clear: My son will still be living with my EX so I guess it really doesn't matter for me.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Ronny wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm Thanks, Stroppy. People that aren't going through what I am (many of them, anyway) have no idea what it is like to have to separate from someone they love so much whatever the circumstance. It's so painful as if my heart has been ripped from my body. You are a compassionate man with a golden heart. I wish there were more people like you in this world. When I go to Cambodia, maybe we can meet each other. Thank you so much.
I think most or many of us here have been there at least once, so it's a shame there isn't more compassion for those going through it.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Ronny wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:50 pm Phuket, I'm confused. But whatever. I guess I'll find out next month. But one thing is clear: My son will still be living with my EX so I guess it really doesn't matter for me.

If ur supporting him, he is ur dependent
u dont need to be married to the mom (i have a thai/usa daughter, - divorced ) yet got a dependent extension for 2 years
BUT i was raising her without the mom

Goodluck. DONT pack up and move to Cambodia, Just pack ur stuff and go have a look for a few months
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic