1st international flight to Sihanoukville Scheduled

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: 1st international flight to Sihanoukville Scheduled

Post by OrangeDragon »

flying chicken wrote:
OrangeDragon wrote:
We should call the highway to Siem Reap the "Highway of Spinal Compression."
Yea, once past Kompong Thom the road is complete shit (SR > PP), and the traffic jam is a nightmare when entering and exiting PP esp in the evening.
That's not at all fair... I've had complete shits that were MUCH smoother than that road is...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Vivid.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Even ones with corn...
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Creamed corn?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Depends on who it was who bought me dinner...
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Even though the PP to Snooky road is the best in the country I call it the "Death Highway To Hell" because of all the drunk/stoned/crazed container and beer truck drivers to say nothing of the rich Cambodian crazy drivers in their Lexus's. The railroad was redone to take the containers off the road, but as the head of the container port in Snooky said: "The paperwork hasn't been done yet to move containers on the railroad", which means enough paperwork ($$$$$) hasn't changed hands or the container truck company(s) have submitted enough paperwork to keep running.

A few months ago I took a taxi from PP to Snooky on a holiday. The powers that be said no trucks on the highway during the holiday. What a great drive, it took just over 2 hours and mostly no heart stopping incidents.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Sailorman wrote:Even though the PP to Snooky road is the best in the country I call it the "Death Highway To Hell" because of all the drunk/stoned/crazed container and beer truck drivers to say nothing of the rich Cambodian crazy drivers in their Lexus's. The railroad was redone to take the containers off the road, but as the head of the container port in Snooky said: "The paperwork hasn't been done yet to move containers on the railroad", which means enough paperwork ($$$$$) hasn't changed hands or the container truck company(s) have submitted enough paperwork to keep running.

A few months ago I took a taxi from PP to Snooky on a holiday. The powers that be said no trucks on the highway during the holiday. What a great drive, it took just over 2 hours and mostly no heart stopping incidents.
I drive it regularly, and I'd say the largest problem with the trucks is that they go so damn slow and get everyone else stuck behind them and frustrated... leading to poor choices that make for dangerous conditions.

Related to the original post:
http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/bre ... noukville/
The new Seoul Incheon – Sihanoukville route was launched on July 29, 2014 and will continue until the end of August. It is being operated in combination with Skywing Asia’s existing links from the South Korean capital to Siem Reap in order to provide a full tourism package that includes the Kingdom’s two landmark destinations.
They've been seen around town shopping and spending and having fun. In low season. Several businesses are actually having trouble keeping up with demand... a nice problem to have. (And some cute Korean eye candy as well. ;-))

Though this is some nice information... it's amusing that they think Siem Reap is the capital:
Sihanoukville is developing as a destination for local and international visitors and traffic levels at Preah Sihanouk International Airport have risen 146 per cent during the first six months of this year to 20,400 passengers, thanks to its regular links to the country’s capital, Siem Reap.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I stopped driving my truck when I'd go to PP from Snooky on the "Highway from Hell" the last time two container trucks came at me around a blind corner, one in each lane. Lucky there was a dirt area on the side of the road for me to bail-out too. This wasn't the first time this happened. The slow trucks are a real problem and the railroad was suppose to take care of the containers from the port to PP, didn't happen, but why?

Three flights a week from Siem Reap? Chump-change. Vietnam Air (Cambodia Angkor Air) doesn't want to really fly to Snooky, but to the Vietnamese island just south of Snooky. No flights from PP-Snooky. Until the Vietnamese strangle hold on the Snooky airport is broken, all there will be is the odd charter, although "charters" may be one way of breaking the Vietnamese monopoly. I believe that once the monopoly is broken you could see Cambodia Air, Tiger Air, Air Asia and maybe Jetstar interested in flying to Snooky. The picture of the "Charter" flight is interesting as it shows an Airbus jet can land at Snooky airport.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

hello, still no direct flight from Thailand to Sihanoukville ? Do you know how much and do you have a taxi nimber / website to pickup people at Kohkong border in Thailand ? Thank you.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Air Asia starts flying in soon from KL. No flights from Thailand. The early flights were on sale for around $67.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic