A Silly Question, but...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ronny
BANNED

Re: A Silly Question, but...

Post by Ronny »

PSDKiwi, No, I only have a regular banking account. For whatever reasons, the bank would not issue me any card although I have well over a million Baht in it. I didn't really set up the account to draw money from it anyway.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I don't get this. When you open an account in Thailand, you tell them you want an ATM card (which they call a Visa card though it's not a credit card). They open the appropriate account. I always have two accounts: one savings with NO card, and one savings with a card. I do online transfers when I need cash in the debit card account. This is Kbank.

You don't want your Thai bank doing the wire transfer because they change your baht into US dollars, taking a big exchange cut, then add on the wire fee. And the receiving bank takes its cut.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

I didn't even have proof of address for my ABA account, when asked where I lived I said, "Er, in Phum three over there" and pointed. Passport, visa and $10 for the minimum balance. I paid $3 for a cash card. Internet banking if you want it, the email your PIN doesn't work very well, better to have a Cambodian phone number on the account. I was in and out in under 30 minutes, account was ready in a couple of days. Unlike Acleda bank where my wife banks, I have spent hours at a time in their queues, such that I take the baby now to annoy people enough so I can jump the damn thing, plus it costs a buck at the one here to pay your own money into your own savings account. What a swizz.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

No idea what account u have in thailand but they all (except maybe a timed account) can have an atm card issued.. i have a Thai SCB bank account that has an visa DEBIT card good for taking money out of my account at atm machines or making purchases online or at stores.

I also have another SCB account that i opened for my gf, we gave the atm card to her sister in Cambodia, when we want send /give them $$ i add it to the account using my online scb account and she pulls it out in Cambodia ( a 100 baht service charge)

IF i was living there i would just open an account and have money wired over , thou in large amounts to save transfer fees.

Dont understand what the big deal is
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Got it, PhuketRichard. I think I'll just take about $8,000 cash with me over the border and then once I get a banking account I'll have my (soon to be ex) wife wire the rest to me from her account. Guess it's good we're ending this amicably, lol.

P.S. And PhuketRichard, about that 1 year visa you got when you were single and had your daughter as a dependent, what is it called again? I'll go to Immigration for my "90 days" next month and I will ask them about that and I don't want to look like a fool by not knowing what they call that kind of visa.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

1 year dependent Extension NOT visa, U need have a Non Immigrant O visa to get the extension;
most immigration want see 400,000 in the bank, Phuket wanted 5000,000
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Ronny wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:59 pm Got it, PhuketRichard. I think I'll just take about $8,000 cash with me over the border and then once I get a banking account I'll have my (soon to be ex) wife wire the rest to me from her account. Guess it's good we're ending this amicably, lol.
Are you seriously going to trust your Thai ex-wife to look after and then send you your money :popcorn:

Do you have online banking with your Thai account? If not, set it up and then you can do a SWIFT transfer once you open a bank account here.

Judging from your posts, you haven't even been to Cambodia before have you? You might wanna slow your roll homie...don't get too far ahead of yourself, you might end up being one of those people who absolutely hate it here. Come for a short holiday before making the move permanent, if you do decide you want to live here, open a bank account, then go back to Thailand to get your affairs in order and also whilst there you can manually transfer all of your funds to your Cambodian Bank acct.

I don't mean to be nasty, but you do come across as rather clueless. I wish you all the best.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Ronny wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:59 pm Got it, PhuketRichard. I think I'll just take about $8,000 cash with me over the border and then once I get a banking account I'll have my (soon to be ex) wife wire the rest to me from her account. Guess it's good we're ending this amicably, lol.

P.S. And PhuketRichard, about that 1 year visa you got when you were single and had your daughter as a dependent, what is it called again? I'll go to Immigration for my "90 days" next month and I will ask them about that and I don't want to look like a fool by not knowing what they call that kind of visa.

''once I get a banking account I'll have my (soon to be ex) wife wire the rest to me from her account. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Yes, PSD. My wife comes from a wealthy Chinese family and we married in the US and we've been married for 17 years and have a 16 year old son. We will end our marriage amicably and what sinks my heart is that I still love her so much but our paths in life are different now. A bar girl she isn't, to say the least.
Ronny
BANNED

Post by Ronny »

Phuket, I already have the O Visa but I'm afraid that I will not be able to explain to Immigration that I'm getting a divorce and I want to know the name of the visa that I can get if I have a son here although I'm getting a divorce. That is all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic