Decent home recipe

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: Decent home recipe

Post by Kuroneko »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 pm
parboiled rice
Uuuurgh! That shit tastes like plastic...imagine the reaction you'd get from a Cambodian, or any other Asian, if you served them Uncle Bens rice!
Is that the same stuff as freeze dried rice that was in the PR1M's I got in the army! Its effing awful.

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:45 pm
parboiled rice
Uuuurgh! That shit tastes like plastic...imagine the reaction you'd get from a Cambodian, or any other Asian, if you served them Uncle Bens rice!
Is that the same stuff as freeze dried rice that was in the PR1M's I got in the army! Its effing awful.
On ANZAC Day a Turkish mate came with us to Dawn Service, and showed us the rat-pack plan for Turkish soldiers at Gallipoli - most of the meals were marked "nothing" and others were marked "hot tea with sugar, piece of bread."
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Kuroneko wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:26 pmIs that the same stuff as freeze dried rice that was in the PR1M's I got in the army! Its effing awful.
Different, but tastes just as bad
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:24 pm
Mr Curious wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm my grandmother used to do this for us. Leftover rice seems to work best, it's a bit dry and I suppose soaks in some egg. Beat an egg, pour it into a bowl with maybe half cup of rice, mix. Ya want it a bit runny, not 'dry". Put some bacon grease in a pan, about a teaspoon might do or a bit more, no biggie, fire it up kinda high, get it to a good heat then pour in the egg rice mix and smooth it out and look for it to bubble and steam thro in some spots, flip. Should be brown and crispy a bit. It's quite edible even if dry, I've put chopped onions in the mix or bell peppers, bacon bits, ham bit, whatever. Nice snack. Now I use parboiled rice, nice seperate grains. Might wanna kinda break up the rice if it's clumped up in the fridge over night. Nothing fancy, but tasty and there's always rice and eggs around huh?
Instead of smoothing it out and flipping it, you could just stir-fry it and have fried rice. Add some soy sauce.

:hattip:
bleh. I get plenty enough of that there. It's nice, plate it break a piece off, munch. Crunchy outside, eggy rice inside. No veggie prep, unless I feel like it. Sure I do the fried rice thing, but it's partly a comfort food thang I guess. Strong memory of the crunchy golden brown patties Granma used to serve up for breakie sometimes.
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

by the way, nice 440 reaction there fellas. I'll just keep it to myself on food things in the future.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mr Curious wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm my grandmother used to do this for us. Leftover rice seems to work best, it's a bit dry and I suppose soaks in some egg. Beat an egg, pour it into a bowl with maybe half cup of rice, mix. Ya want it a bit runny, not 'dry". Put some bacon grease in a pan, about a teaspoon might do or a bit more, no biggie, fire it up kinda high, get it to a good heat then pour in the egg rice mix and smooth it out and look for it to bubble and steam thro in some spots, flip. Should be brown and crispy a bit. It's quite edible even if dry, I've put chopped onions in the mix or bell peppers, bacon bits, ham bit, whatever. Nice snack. Now I use parboiled rice, nice seperate grains. Might wanna kinda break up the rice if it's clumped up in the fridge over night. Nothing fancy, but tasty and there's always rice and eggs around huh?

My 8 year [ and one month ] old girl loves cooking and that resembles one of her recipes. It gets HOT in the kitchen when her two older sisters try to tell her how to cook.
Eggs ,[ scrambled ] add old rice and milk with salt and chili sauce. Then put on toast that has lots of Myboy condenced milk. Topped off with more condensed milk , and her 5 yo sister and 6 yo cousin leave nothing left but a mess.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 pm Yeah, he's good geezer, here's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/strokesysmeat/
...and closed on Sundays. :(
-insert signature here
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

AE86 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:47 pm Yeah, he's good geezer, here's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/strokesysmeat/
He's an Aussie, mate. He'll be at church.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm

But I'm not Aussie, nor will I be at church. I want meat!
-insert signature here
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm
[/quote]

Aussie + Sunday + Church = Sunday sesh' at the Pub
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic