Gay in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Gay in Cambodia

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:06 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm I've never experienced any prejudice when out with GF.
ive never felt any prejudice when out with Rozzie and her GF
I've never felt any prejucide when reading about when Punchy is out with Rozzie and her GF...
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 amive had a lot of gays take offence when ive told them im not gay, they get really disappointed and pissed off, like its my fault im not gay, pfft what everrrrrrr
Wait, what? You're NOT?
im just hiding in my closet tbh
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:18 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:06 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:33 pm I've never experienced any prejudice when out with GF.
ive never felt any prejudice when out with Rozzie and her GF
I've never felt any prejucide when reading about when Punchy is out with Rozzie and her GF...
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:40 amive had a lot of gays take offence when ive told them im not gay, they get really disappointed and pissed off, like its my fault im not gay, pfft what everrrrrrr
Wait, what? You're NOT?
im just hiding in my closet tbh
I'm keeping mine locked while you figure that out.

I'm reading "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" with one of my students at the moment - I've lost count of the number of times the kids in the story have come out of the closet.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Whatever happened to same-sex marriage in Cambodia
February 28, 2018 | Cambodia

- As a child, I used to play as a boy,” Doung Sok An explained, fidgeting with the thick gold ring on his finger. “My family didn’t really accept me, but I told them I could not change. So they are kind of accepting of me, but they still want me to be a ‘normal girl’.”

Identifying as male, An would go on to have a string of short-lived relationships with women before meeting his soon-to-be wife, Heang Chanri. Four years later, they work together at a garment factory in Kandal province. Leaning against one another in the shade of a crowded courtyard, the couple seems like any other husband and wife shrinking from the afternoon sun. But under Cambodian law, An is not a man – and Chanri is not his wife.

The push for marriage equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) Cambodians has had some powerful proponents over the decades. As far back as 2004, then-King Norodom Sihanouk proclaimed his support for marriage equality after watching TV coverage of same-sex weddings in California. In 2012, Prime Minister HE – who just five years earlier had publicly disowned his lesbian adopted daughter – called on Cambodians not to discriminate against their LGBTIQ neighbours. And as recently as June last year, numerous political parties declared support for a constitutional amendment on same-sex marriage at a roundtable on LGBTIQ rights.

Unfortunately, the legal status of LGBTIQ, or ‘rainbow’, relationships remains a mystery to many Cambodians, even those actually living within such unions, according to Nuon Sidara, coordinator of the Cambodian Centre for Human Rights’ Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Project.

“The constitution says that marriage is ‘between a husband and a wife’,” he told Southeast Asia Globe. “In our research [LGBTIQ couples] say that they have the right to get married, to live together, to adopt children, to jointly own property – but this is the wrong understanding. They assume that because they are humans, they should be treated in a manner like any other couple… [But] there’s nothing in our civil courts or constitution to protect same-sex couples.”

For rainbow couples in Cambodia, the distinction is not just a matter of semantics. Unlike those in legal marriages, LGBTIQ couples are unable to jointly own property, be considered their partner’s legal successor under civil law, enjoy the same tax exemptions, be protected by the same domestic violence legislation or enjoy the same rights to legal adoption.

Ly Pisey, coordinator at LGBTIQ rights group Rainbow Community Kampuchea (Rock), said that this lack of legal protection left LGBTIQ Cambodians at risk of being stripped of their livelihood, property and even family in the case of separation from or the death of their partner...
http://sea-globe.com/cambodias-push-for ... -marriage/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I just want to know where StroppyChops went
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I've never felt any prejucide until I tell people trying to tell me about their lifestyle that they bore me.

I don't care who you fuck, can't you talk about something else?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

like religion and politics
best kept secret when affected
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

LGBTIQ groups fear setback
17 May 2018
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, and queer (LGBTIQ) communities have raised concerns that their freedom of expression, association and assembly are at risk amid a crackdown on civil society and independent media, according to a report published by a rights organisation on Wednesday.

The report by NGO Destination Justice, Revealing the Rainbow: The Human Rights Situation of LGBTIQ HRDs in Southeast Asia, argues that although the Cambodian LGBTIQ community in recent years has seen an improvement in their freedom of expression, these gains are now at risk due to recent political developments in the country.

“Since mid-2017, Cambodia appears to have entered a phase of greater political uncertainty in which fundamental freedom and the freedom of civil society and independent media appear to be under increasing threat,” they write. “Under such circumstances . . . vulnerable communities such as LGBTIQ remain at risk.”
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ar-setback
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:32 am Maybe gay men are perceived differently but I've always found people very accepting and even curious.
Indeed, as we are all curious, can you post some pics? ;)
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

I feel like some are real, some just follow a trend here. And before people say they are born that way, I've talked with a few girls here and they admitted to be molested or worse as kids so they went the gay route. Not saying that happened to everyone, met a lot of genuine gay dudes. I don't know, some reason I meet a lot here
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

jimsocks wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:43 pm I don't know, some reason I meet a lot here
Are you a male hairdresser who hangs around in gay bars wearing a T-shirt with "Sorry girls, I suck cock." printed on it?
:wink:
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic