Decent home recipe

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
jayblues
Expatriate

Decent home recipe

Post by jayblues »

I have a recipe that I started in the Philippines that is decent and I'd like to share if anyone wants to try it out. It's my personal fusion recipe.
Goes well with steamed rice.
Serving size for 2 people

3/4 pound of stewed beef, beef stir fry strips, pork menudo, or pork strips

Ginger, 1 root, cut into small pieces
Onion, 1 large onion or 3 small onions, can be white or red onion. Cut into stir fry pieces

Heat skillet on medium low and olive oil and add ginger and onion.

Take beef or pork and put in bowl, add 1/4 cup of oyster sauce, personal prefernces of chili powder, black pepper, garlic,paprika, sea salt, and any other spices and herbs you want. Add 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar. Mix together in bowl.

Add seasoned beef to skillet and cover on medium low heat. Stir occassionally.

Slice carrot and mushroom and steam above rice in rice cooker or add to skillet.

You can add any other ingredients as well.

Comes out quite tasty if you cook the meat around medium.

I was going to add some photos of the prep and recipe and cooked meals but I don't know how to post photos on here.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Decent home recipe

Post by Username Taken »

Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:thumb: Thanks for posting that. We haven't had any recipes on the forum for ages.
Let's hope that will inspire others to post. Always looking for ideas. :2girlsit8:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cheers for that, must try it. Or a variation depending on what's in the cupboard. Oyster sauce isn't something I'd ever have, and I would only have malt/ spirit/ balsamic or wine vinegar around. I guess I could buy some cider vinegar and oyster sauce though.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Oyster sauce is only a dollar something at most grocery stores. Heinz cider vinegar is also $2 something. If you really want premium stuff they even have Bragg's Apple Cider vinegar which is quite strong but rich in flavour. At $15 a bottle though it's a bit pricey.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Speaking of recipes, we've bought a couple of orders of meats from Stokeseys Meats (sp?) in TTP - recommended, and they home deliver. They have real Kievs and Cordon Bleus, and huge pork or chicken schnitzels, as well as the other expected cuts. Aussie butcher, nice bloke.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Does he stock decent sausage casings by chance?
-insert signature here
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yeah, he's good geezer, here's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/strokesysmeat/

Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:40 pm Does he stock decent sausage casings by chance?
Mrs S tells me he does sausages, ergo he has sausage casings, he's an Aussie butcher, they're probably decent.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

One of the best cordon bleus I've ever had, honestly. Mrs S's cooking was awesome, so that helped too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic