Introduce Yourself

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Introduce Yourself

Post by John Bingham »

ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 am a 3 month visa is around 70 something USD or a year for 270 USD and agency will take care of thank no questions asked.
There are no 3 month or 12 month visas.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ricefarmersdaughter
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ricefarmersdaughter »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm
ricefarmersdaughter wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:46 am a 3 month visa is around 70 something USD or a year for 270 USD and agency will take care of thank no questions asked.
There are no 3 month or 12 month visas.
Visa extentions only apply to a type E business visas available on arrival for 5 USD extra than a 30USD tourist visa.

Overstaying a visa will cost 10 USD per day un capped.
rumour is that 2000 USD is the unofficial overstay cap.

Better payed in USD not foreign currency especially at land crossings infamous for ripoffs (poi pet and koh kong).
Immigration officers in The airport are easy to deal with just make sure all documents are filled out properly a along with a passport sized photo .
Land crossings be prepared to bribe your way through .
2-3USD should speed things up.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

I have a fair amount of experience leading teams, doing sales, training and all that malarky and in high positions for quite a large multinational corporation. would any of this help finding a potential job out there? Don't get me wrong I'd happily serve drinks to suppliments some income every so often if there bar owners were nice, the dream is to live in Cambodia for a while or perhaps longer depending on what I come across.

That said I'm in no hurry and would like to chill out for.a few months, work on physiotherapy and do some online courses without having 40hours a week stolen by work
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
gomeril
Tourist
United States of America

Post by gomeril »

You guys are hilarious. So far I've learned not to trust ricefarmersdaughter. I think I've got the visa part figured out, but do I need another ticket out of the country or will they not give a shit? Right now I'm coming in one way. Could I buy a boat ticket online or something to suffice as proof I'll leave the country at some point, or do I need a flight?

And would you all recommend any language resources? I'd also like to read up a lot on the culture.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

You shouldn't need an onward ticket but this comes down to the airline policy not Cambodian regulations.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

if the airline gets funny you can usually just sign a waiver saying you will meet any costs if denied entry.
nationals of some african and mid east countries are sometimes denied e class visa but normall given a tourist visa and allowed to enter.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Thinking it through, the only one to benefit from the "you must have an exit ticket" rule is the airline you've just flown in on.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

Hi all, hope you're well,

So I've starting toying with the idea of quitting work, packing up and living in Phmon Penh for a while. I visited around 14 years ago and always wanted to return. It looks like I'll have the means to come November in the form of a 2k (GBP) bonus from work, which I'm hoping will give me some time to get myself established.

ITIL Change Manager at the moment having done various other middle-management non-jobs with fancy titles which don't really mean anything in the real world. Looking to pick up a TEFL qualification over the next few months in order to teach English, also a keen bodybuilder, so maybe personal training is an option?

A question for the seasoned expats...if you did it all again, knowing what you know now, what (if anything) would you do differently?
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

hatchelt wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:03 pm Hi all, hope you're well,

So I've starting toying with the idea of quitting work, packing up and living in Phmon Penh for a while. I visited around 14 years ago and always wanted to return. It looks like I'll have the means to come November in the form of a 2k (GBP) bonus from work, which I'm hoping will give me some time to get myself established.

ITIL Change Manager at the moment having done various other middle-management non-jobs with fancy titles which don't really mean anything in the real world. Looking to pick up a TEFL qualification over the next few months in order to teach English, also a keen bodybuilder, so maybe personal training is an option?

A question for the seasoned expats...if you did it all again, knowing what you know now, what (if anything) would you do differently?
not get involved with my first Girlfriend :suicide:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
hatchelt
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by hatchelt »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:16 pmnot get involved with my first Girlfriend :suicide:

I'll trade your first girlfriend for my ex-wife :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic